Backing up data to SD Card *without root* prior to installing Open OS?

Hi all,

I’d like to switch from the Google to the Open Fairphone OS. Since I’ve had and used my phone for a few months already, I’d like to try to back up my data ahead of time.

I downloaded Helium and created a backup. However, it will only let me backup to internal storage, not to my SD card. I remembered that there was some problem with writing permissions to the SD Card and checked that thread, which now tells me that I need root to write to the SD card. I was really hoping to avoid rooting the phone now that the Open OS is available and with that root shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

My question is - is there any way I can backup my data to something other than the internal storage of my phone since this will be wiped by installing Open OS? I’m happy to have a backup on my computer if that’s possible and then transfer it back once I’ve moved to Open OS. I have a Mac. Any ideas?

I’m less happy about a cloud storage solution, but if there’s no other way, I would also be willing to consider that. Any ideas there for options that are reasonably secure with regards to my data? (i.e. nothing Google-related, Dropbox, etc.)

Thanks!

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: :pencil2: Backup Solutions without root access