Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1

Have you tried the original instructions from z3ntu’s original post? My instructions are actually just meant as an alternative way in case you run at a dead end with ADB & Fastboot.

1 Like

Do you mean that?

Not, I haven’t tried yet. In fact I find them a little more difficult since I have no idea what adb is.
Nevertheless, thank you so much also to z3ntu for his job!!

1 Like

Finally, I got android 4.4.4. with the 2019-01-01 android security patch. Thank you very much to @urs_lesse and @z3ntu for their development. Again , a FP1U still useful and Google-free :wink:

3 Likes

Having encountered the bootloop myself now that Lidwien reported (thanks!) a while ago, I added a sentence to the final step of the 15-point instructions. I guess I didn’t experience it originally because back then I switched the FP1 from 4.4.2 (Macadamia) to 4.4.4. while now I switched from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4.

2 Likes

I’ve uploaded FP1-4.4.4-z3ntu-0.0.3-pre5.zip with many applied frameworks/av security patches (so media-related stuff). I’ve tested a bit and Netflix, NewPipe and Music playback seems to work but please test everything you can think of about media playback (I already had to revert one patch because it broke playback in NewPipe)!

After that I’ll make a proper release (0.0.3) with February (or March, depending on when I do it) security patches.

7 Likes

Many thanks to @z3ntu for the system update for this lovely old phone and @urs_lesse for the easy instructions. I now have a working 4.4.4 fairphone useable for daily use. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Did somebody test media playback with this new build? I’d love to hear test results.

Hi, I might test the build sometime this week.
However, I have a question beforehand: When I upgraded from stock FP Android to your 0.0.2 release I had to wipe my user data because the phone ended up in a boot loop.
If I now update from 0.0.2 to 0.0.3 the chance that I need to wipe the user data again should be pretty low, correct?

Thank you for your work :slight_smile:

If you’re staying on 4.4.4 builds, it should be fine - at least I didn’t wipe between flashing my builds for testing.

1 Like

Hi, I just installed the 0.0.3pre5 version. I don’t have that much multimedia software installed, but NewPipe, VLC and “Vanilla Music” (F-Droid) seem to work fine (even at the same time :wink: )
Also Cythara and Tuner (both musical tuner from F-Droid) seem to pick something up.

On the other hand I had trouble with the play store and had to reinstall the open gapps zip, but everything seems to be okay now.

Sidenote: The denied/allowed per application permissions were reset. EDIT: Only Google Apps?

1 Like

Hi @z3ntu,
I think I will be also able to install it during the weekend!
Just with a security purpose: if I want to maintain all the apps and data I have right now on the phone, it will be right using the backup&restore option, right?
I will let you know regarding the version!
Though, I am looking forward to install the new release!
Thank you very much

Avoid the backup & restore app - it backs up surprisingly little. I’m not even sure what it does backup, just that it’s far less than what people assume.
I’m not sure whether restoring apps from one Android version to another is entirely foolproof, so you may run into some odd issues (or it may be fine). If you want to have a shot at it, Titanium Backup has often been recommended for the FP1.
Make sure to check whether personal files (photos and such) are also backed up. If in doubt, do a manual copy. Don’t store backups (only) on the phone itself.

For me the pre-installed backup & restore app worked flawlessly when migrating from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4, however I only use it for contacts, calendar and messages (i.e. solely for data from other pre-installed apps). Photos, music and videos I backup manually to my computer all the time anyway.

1 Like

Hm… anybody else has problems accessing (writing?) to the sd card? Many apps report the device is write protected… but I don’t see how.

Tested with two cards already. (This was already a problem with 0.0.2)

Done! Upgraded to 0.0.3pre5 version. At first glance it seems performing all as expected. Writing on SD card, apps permissions, internet radio app, antenna pod (as media apps) … Let me know if I can help regarding some specific apps.
And, of course, thank you so much for your great job @z3ntu.

2 Likes

Upgraded to 0.0.3pre. Had to do a full wipe in order to stop the bootloop, but since all seems to work fine so far.
WiFi, BT, GPS, etc are OK, media Playback as well.
Thanks for keeping the FP1 alive @z3ntu !

The one thing I cannot get to work is the X-Posed Framework… (Installer states: API 19 not supportet ???)
Anybody else trying? Ideas what I did wrong?

That likely means you are trying to install a version of X-Posed intended for a different Android version.

One would think so…
In the meantime I figured out that the regular X-Posed installer is NOT working on Android 4.4.4…
Solution is found on XDA:

Hope this is useful to somebody.

1 Like

Having struggled to figure out what caused my battery drain under 4.4.4. (see here, here, here, here), I cannot provide 100% certainty about the exact cause now, but I believe I can finally say that I have been able to overcome it. I don’t get record duration out of the battery under 4.4.4 (4.2.2: 10+ days), but the difference is now significantly smaller (20-25% less). My most recent two discharging cycles:

I strongly suspect that starting the original migration not from Jelly Bean (4.2.2), but from Macadamia (4.4.2) to Fairphone z3ntu OS (4.4.4.) is to blame. After numerous cross testing coming from that migration path, I noticed this interesting pattern at one point: While a full battery charge done in the FP1 kept giving me a meagre 3 days battery life at best, battery life was dramatically better (more like what’s it’s now, see above) when the same battery was charged either in a different FP1 or in an external charger. To make sure it wasn’t about an imperfect USB port or any other hardware weakness, I switched back to 4.2.2 and promptly got the previous level of 9-10 days out of the battery again. Eventually, I did give 4.4.4 one final shot, starting directly from Jelly Bean unlike before.

So … I cannot exactly express what caused the drainage, but it strongly seems that something disturbing the charging process under Macadamia might have been carried over in my original migration. It was taking the same time for a full charge as under 4.2.2 and 4.4.4, and yet the battery would discharge much quicker (and btw, also by an unnaturally steady rate going by the battery life graph).

2 Likes

Hi there,
I am in need of some assistence, I’ve tried the 1-15 steps trying to go from 4.2.2 tot 4.4.4 (0.0.3) but it’s not working. My fp1 keeps ending up in the loop (between black screen ‘android’ and blue screen ‘loading’) sometimes it will ask me for the password to decrypt storage, and then it will go back into the loop.
I’ve wiped the data already serveral times. I went through the steps 5-15 already a couple of times each time with the same result. Going through the steps seems to go well, but the rebooting is not working.
Any one any advice on what I can try now? And would it otherwise be possible to go back to kola nut?
thanks!