Android KitKat (4.4.4) for FP1

I’m pretty sure I’ve linked opengapps with the correct version and architecture in my initial/top post

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t see it. Thank you very much.
Please, may I ask you how to install OpenGapps?

It’s a flashable zip, so via the “install zip” option in the recovery

@z3ntu Thank you so much. It works. Another Fairphone 1 upgraded!

1 Like

About battery life, here is how my phone behaves, one month after the upgrade.

Battery life seems to be better. Charge decreases slowly, but is a little bit erratic.

Usually I charge my phone when the battery is at about 40-60% of charge.

The last time I let it go, just to see how much battery life I could get.

On the 6th (!) day, the battery was at 43%, at the end of the day.
When I woke up, it was at 13%.

That morning was 7 days and 1 hour since the last charge. OK, I just sent some SMS, had a few calls, checked my emails on 3G maybe every morning, but that’s all. Airplane mode every night.

Before the upgrade, the battery level was more linear. It usually decreased by 10-15% a day (I put it on charge every 4 to 5 days).

I think it’s nice for a 4 years, 5 month’s phone (original battery).

I just have to charge before it reaches 40%, just to be sure.

I a really have a new phone, so glad !

2 Likes

I wished I could report similar progress, but I have only gotten five days out of 4.4.4 in my primary FP1 once – using the battery charged in my secondary FP1. Now that I charged the battery in the primary FP1 again for the first time, it’s already back to the 1% per hour hemorrhaging (without any use other than an active SIM card) :disappointed: I had already done two battery resets in the course of my efforts to get it to normal discharging rates, I really don’t want to stress the battery that way so soon again.

Having ruled out all sorts of individual apps as the culprit, I was temporarily thinking it was about the SD card. But the externally (in my secondary FP1) charged battery then suggested it’s not the SD card.

I have tried so many things to change this pattern and without any usable conclusion, I’m about to give up and go back to Macadamia or even Kola Nut. Battery lifetime and listening to music from a large SD card is more important to me in my FP1 than the ability to go online.

Version FP1-4.4.4-z3ntu-0.0.2 has been uploaded with the following changes:

• Android security patch level: 2019-01-01

I’ve also added a (relatively) complete list of security patches that have been applied to the sources, to the top post.

8 Likes

Another one saved from recycling!!! Or sitting in the drawer.

Thanks to everyone involved for producing the various bits of this and sharing - including the step-by-step.

I used ADB (loaded the recovery.img first, went into recovery mode and then sideloaded the file using ADB.exe). All worked ok until I rebooted and got into a cycle of doom - showing the blue ‘loading’ page and then the black ‘android’ page…

I reset into recovery mode and selected ‘factory reset’ and then restarted. It worked fine. No problem with IMEI loss (but then the motherboard of this phone was ‘bricked’ when I bought it and I had to do some jiggery pokery to set IMEI, when I cannibalised it, so maybe that was retained somehow).

I think my battery life is draining quicker now, but that’s a bit subjective so far (just a few hours of heavy use while I transfer / add apps). I’ll get my smashed-screen spare FP1 out and see if I can compare.

I just hope I can hold out until the mythical FP3 makes an appearance (and I hope it’s [around] the same size as FP1!).

2 Likes

Just repaired a FP1 and updated it to 4.4.
Another FP1 prolonged its life.
Thank you @z3ntu

7 Likes

Thank you @z3ntu !! I just updated my FP1 and works like a charm!

Note: I didn’t lose my IMEI :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Simply AWSOME!!

That’s what is soooo exciting and fantastic about Fairphone: the people supporting it.
All those fantastic folk called angels acting as support-crew on- and offline and the ones like @z3ntu developing stuff still even for the FP1 and sharing it with the community!

Thx a lot to all those great people out there!

3 Likes

Dear all,
I am a proud owner of FP1U. I’m trying to install KitKat 4.4.4 according to @urs_lesse 15-points guide (thank you so much) . However, I get and “Error: aborted installation” once I tried to install from sdcard either FP1-4.4.4-z3ntu-0.0.1.zip oFP1-4.4.4-z3ntu-0.0.2.zip.
Moreover, I used the terminal emulator in order to get a backup but now I am unable to know how should I use the recovery.img file since from the menu option “restore” I am unable to find such file.
Can anyone help me with this issue??
note: last calling to save a FP1U prior to a FP2 acquisition… :wink:

Have you tried the original instructions from z3ntu’s original post? My instructions are actually just meant as an alternative way in case you run at a dead end with ADB & Fastboot.

1 Like

Do you mean that?

Not, I haven’t tried yet. In fact I find them a little more difficult since I have no idea what adb is.
Nevertheless, thank you so much also to z3ntu for his job!!

1 Like

Finally, I got android 4.4.4. with the 2019-01-01 android security patch. Thank you very much to @urs_lesse and @z3ntu for their development. Again , a FP1U still useful and Google-free :wink:

3 Likes

Having encountered the bootloop myself now that Lidwien reported (thanks!) a while ago, I added a sentence to the final step of the 15-point instructions. I guess I didn’t experience it originally because back then I switched the FP1 from 4.4.2 (Macadamia) to 4.4.4. while now I switched from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4.

2 Likes

I’ve uploaded FP1-4.4.4-z3ntu-0.0.3-pre5.zip with many applied frameworks/av security patches (so media-related stuff). I’ve tested a bit and Netflix, NewPipe and Music playback seems to work but please test everything you can think of about media playback (I already had to revert one patch because it broke playback in NewPipe)!

After that I’ll make a proper release (0.0.3) with February (or March, depending on when I do it) security patches.

7 Likes

Many thanks to @z3ntu for the system update for this lovely old phone and @urs_lesse for the easy instructions. I now have a working 4.4.4 fairphone useable for daily use. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Did somebody test media playback with this new build? I’d love to hear test results.

Hi, I might test the build sometime this week.
However, I have a question beforehand: When I upgraded from stock FP Android to your 0.0.2 release I had to wipe my user data because the phone ended up in a boot loop.
If I now update from 0.0.2 to 0.0.3 the chance that I need to wipe the user data again should be pretty low, correct?

Thank you for your work :slight_smile: