Android 6.0 Marshmallow / 7 Nougat for FP2?

Maybe @kuleszdl was talking about Cyanogen Mod and is not aware of Android Kitkat for the FP1?

@chrmhoffmann and @Stefan

As I mentioned already in comment 65 - this was my last info from a while ago, so I am happy if the issues are solved meanwhile.

Just for the record: I meant that the bluetooth issues are not solved in Cyanogen Mod, but in @chrmhoffmann’s second ROM, namely Android Kitkat for FP1. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now the fairphones are getting distributed (I got mine yesteray :smiley:), I hope we can see the FP team getting some more time in thinking about updates.

I’m holding out for an official announcement somewhere beginning February once the dust settles on the initial delivery & support for those.

1 Like

I think that the next Android version should be the deadline for having 6.0 working on the fairphone 2, if they want to sell the fairphones 2 in 2016 (or longer).

1 Like

I got my FP 2 last week already (thanks) and I’m already talking with friends about the bad Android 5.1 bugs and limitations. Sorry.

Currently I struggle to recommend the phone as many thinks don’t work well … as before with my old one.
My ‘old’ Galaxy Nexus III is 4 years and 2 month old and the original (unchanged) Google Android 4.3 is much much better.
Please update the FP 2 to 6.xx or downgrade to 4.3 (4.4 is bad too) asap !!!
Until then I need to use the old Nexus in parallel as the 5.1 is not stable and not usable :frowning:

BR, Joachim

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Misbehaving Apps - fix expected for next update; workaround: re-enable privacy impact

After 18 days I’m also very disappointed with Android 5.1 on my FP2.
Since today it doesn’t work and I had screen freezing and restarts in the last 14 days…

Because this is in the Android 6.0 thread: I doubt the instability you describe is related to 5.1. I work with a lot of Android phones, and I cannot say Android 5.1 is generally more buggy than any other release. It works quite stable in fact.

1 Like

:innocent: ok, it could be also an hardware problem…

I’m quite happy with Android 5.1, but am also looking forward to either an official Android 6 ROM or CyanogenMod 13.

The main selling point for Android 6 for me is the incremental permission system.

4 Likes

I flashed this on my old Samsung S3… it’s awesome!

1 Like

I am currently using the first galaxy S. Without dev like Cyanogen, it will be completely impossible to use it today, only because Android 2.3 (Gingerbread !) is to old. Almost all apps need at least Android 4 (ICS).

The most difficult part for me to buy a FP2 was not knowing if it will be stuck in 5.1, and so doomed to live “only” 2-3 years top, until no more apps will be available for this old Android Lollipop version.
And because FP is not (yet) very popular, there is far less developers ready to spent hours porting the latest version of Android on this device.
I took the bet and buy one, but mostly because I believe in the fair concept, not because I am sure that I will be able to use FP2 correctly for 5 years, like my SGS.

Bottom line, by buying a Fairphone, I am confident that the hardware should be ok for years, I am mainly concern by the software which is, for me, the main point of obsolescence.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did the same with my HTC Desire. It came with 2.2 preinstalled but I could update it up to 4.4. So in the end the Fairphone 1 that I bought afterwards was never as up to date as my ancient HTC Desire…

But in this case this will be different, as the license situation of the kernel sources etc is much more ROM friendly. There will be updates, if not official ones then inofficial ones :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I really hope so, but we definitely don’t have the community (in term of number of persons) of HTC or Samsung (like on XDA), so customs ROMs will be more difficult to create imho

But the community seems more “geeky”, so hopefully we will have update :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

That’s logical. There are far more Samsungs and HTCs in the world than Fairphones. So, the community support will increase with every sold FP2.

2 Likes

I don’t quite understand why, given that the community is (still) small, the effort of creating a specific Fairphone OS was undertaken. It seems a more obvious path of action to use what already has been done by others for larger communities…

Be that as it may, I was sorely disappointed to find that atm I cannot upgrade to Marshmallow, as for me, the individual permissions are a very important feature on my nexus.I was hoping that to the Fairphone community, privacy protection would be more important…

It’s possible, just have a look at the Sony devices with the 801 (Sony Xperia Z2). But keep in mind the there is no real infrastructure here to do this correctly. Currently there are more important tasks for the FP developers. Like fixing the FP2 and the releasing the last FP1 4.4.4 code, I assume. There will always be newer Android software versions (google drives that bus) but other people (that don’t even have all the code) will need to fix all the small bugs and glitches on every device that differs from the nexus line :frowning: Sony just happens to have a lot of developers.

So the best workaround would be: Use a used nexus, sony or apple device in the meantime, no update issues. Or try porting it yourself using the Z2 code (it should be pretty much the same). The update for the FP2 will come … it just will take longer. :slightly_smiling:

The best solution would be not to use Android at all, but that would mean no app store, something most people wouldn’t understand.

haven’t you forget sailfisch OS ? It is said to run android apps without beeing android , right ?
Sailfish OS is still a strong candidate for android substitute, I strongly still hope so! (when ? tell me !)
Android apps can be retrieved even by download e.g. from apkpure without a so called “store”

As far as I know the community build of Sailfish OS will not have the needed components to run Android apps (alien dalvik).
I think some kind of license from Jolla is needed to use this feature.

2 Likes