Android 6.0 Marshmallow / 7 Nougat for FP2?

Watching this very closely…

the ZUK Z1 […] will be the first Snapdragon 801 phone to get updated to the latest version of Android.

11 Likes

Now that is interesting! I searched the internet a bit and it seems, the Z1 will at first just recieve an open beta version of Android 7 at the end of January. Some websites write as if will definitely get a final version, but some are writing that it’s not quite clear, wether or not the phone will just stay on an open beta version (maybe because of this Google compatibility thing).

5 Likes

Any news on Android 6/7 department?
Thanks and happy new year :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Is there already a beta version available for the beta testers?

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a tweet from Fairphone that the phone will get an update do 6/7 in the second half of 2016? Or my memory is just playing tricks :smiley:

I think that was about Android Kitkat for FP1, which also didn’t come true. :wink:

1 Like

It seems we are both right :slight_smile:

Post 117 in this topic:

The most official POSTIVE statement regarding Android 6 I have found comes directly from the Fairphone Twitter account:

“Hi, yes, we expect to upgrade the Fairphone 2 to Android 6.0 in the second half of 2016.”

2 Likes

They did, but apparently it takes longer. In post #241 (from Nov.) was the latest announcement of a Fairphone staff member.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have an official announcement from Fairphone especially because the lack of Communication is the biggrst issue of a lot of people here. De security is very late this month so maybe 6 is really coming :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

2017 must be a year of improving community communication and information management, yes :).

8 Likes

I don’t think so. It would be available for the beta testers before. And we haven’t heard from them.

3 Likes

Yeah, when I remember correctly, the updates come around the 20th of the month. Some days to go!

Nevertheless, I look forward to the update to Marshmallow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no, I don’t think anything good will happen on January 20th, 2017! :frowning:

3 Likes

Fairphone OS 1.11.1 and still based on Android 5.1… :frowning:
My employer will discontinue support for my BYOD device in May if it is not running on Android 5.1.1 or higher! Bye bye, Fairphone… it has been a bumpy ride…

1 Like

In November @Douwe announced:

So, while we don’t know anything more specific yet, chances are that by May your Fairphone will run Android 6.

13 Likes

Perhaps within a month? I noticed this tweet from last week, stating it is “coming within weeks”. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

wohooo!!! WEEKS!!! :slight_smile: :tada:

even tough “weeks” can easily accumulate to months and even years and still be measured in weeks :wink: let’s hope for the best!

8 Likes

While we are talking about Marshmallow 6.0 there is a talk going on since about spring 2016 about 6.1 coming up. So whenever FP2 would receive 6.0 it would still bring more work to reach 6.1 which again seems to be a fix update to iron out remaining bugs.

So I am eager to see what will come.

Is 6.1 ever released? I know the rumors which are from 2015 but 6.0.1 is the latest version isn’t it?

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, it was rumored that Google would annouce it at the Google I/O 2016, but then Android 7 was announced :slight_smile: So yeah, 6.0.1 should be latest version.

3 Likes