Android 6.0 is now available (Fairphone OS 17.04.8)

I got the proximity sensor to work correctly. I opened the phone the first time ever. After removing the display I saw some dust on the proximity sensor. It wasn’t much but after blowing it away the sensor worked perfectly.

2 Likes

It failed for me too, time after time. I thought it might be due to insufficient RAM, so moved as many apps as I could to SD card, and deleted some I thought I could do without. After that, and 3 more tries and finally it went through. Yay!!

Very happy, until I found the Sophos Mobile Security app I have had for ages now works differently, and is blocking my access to all System tools, text messaging, my SD card and a lot of my apps too! Its asking for a password I have never had to use before and have no memory of ever setting up! I can’t believe it, but my phone may now be effectively useless. UNINSTALL Sophos BEFORE YOU UPDATE TO v6 MARSHMALLOW!!

Wau, awesome, just WAU. :smiley:

This update have given me a hole new phone. Battery life is SO good now, in comparison to the old OS. My camera is mush faster and just works now.

Really just great :smile:

1 Like

The upgrade:

first time running the updater

I pressed the update the phone was frozen, had to press the power button long to reboot.

second time running the updater

it rebooted into a black screen with super small boot entries

third time running the updater

it finally worked, but the phone became so hot …

Conclusion:

This was not the best user experience,

Android 6

first usage: Is this still my Fairphone2 ?

Missing features:

the most important for me
pressing the volume button gave me an option to silent to phone for some time, one hour, 2 …
now there is the do not disturb function, but to go there I have to unlock the phone, swipe down, press the button …

Home screen, the Fairphone setting was good, how can I have this back.
Now I have the homescreen on the left, each screen on the right, but what if I want 3 screens and the middle one should be the home screen, impossible?

The additional button hardware still without function if the phone is not unlocked.

Conclusion:

positive

I have Android 6 what is somehow good, to get software updated for the phone.

negative

The update procedure made me full of fear, after the first and second failure I was close to not do it

The changed menu widget functionality, … I do not want this, if I have a feature like ‘silent for 1h’ what I need 2 or 3 times a day, and this is gone, it is a very negative user experience.

Summary

I am not unhappy, but would prefer a nicer weekend experience with my phone.
and I wonder if there is any chance to get some of the functions back, and if the additional hardware button ever gets a useful functionality

I’m happy with Android 6.0! Updating was a smooth process and I finally don’t experience any crashes anymore by using GPS navigation apps like Waze and Google Maps.

3 Likes

I created an account just to give here a feedback to the Upgrade, even though I was following the forum before.

First the positive experience:

• I was on FP Open OS before. The process of changing back to FP OS 1.13. and then the upgrade went all really well without problems.
  • Battery life improved a lot since the upgrade!
  • Startup is much faster now!
  • The whole system seems to run more smoothly!

BUT: there was also this apparently well known problem with google app! This was really annoying me. After one week of sudden starts of this assistant I tried to get rid of it yesterday, and for sure I ended up yesterday with a super hot phone in a bootloop. Even though I am closely following this forum I was not aware of the workaround! It took a while to get into the menu for factory reset… so that was really annoying experience. Please fairphone can you please somehow make people aware of this problem as I could imagine that a lot of users are super annoyed by this assistant software!!!

Anyway in general it’s a good experience and I hope that soon we’ll have FP Open.

2 Likes

I created a report in the official bugtracker, suggesting to disallow disabling the Google App before setting the Assist App to none. (You can’t see the tracker yet unless you are a beta tester).[quote=“LeonL, post:137, topic:27884”]
I hope that soon we’ll have FP Open.
[/quote]

Me too, I can’t wait! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Led71
Just to make sure that we are on the right path; you used the binary image of 1.13.0 for flashing, correct? How did you flash the device exactly? A correct flash should take care of the modifications on your device, Fairphone OS 17.04.8 should be able to be installed normally afterwards.

Thank you for your positive feedback! We will keep on working hard to make Android 6.0 on the FP2 even better :slight_smile:

Great to hear! Enjoy :slight_smile:

Great to hear you are happy Thomas! We will keep on working to make Android 6.0 on the FP2 better and better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

just great! thank you for all this great improvements - especially let having disappeard the unnecessary information on the lockscreen!!!

1 Like

Hi Rick,

I also have contact with your colleague Gabriele. I sent him picture of the update proces and the error messsage.

What i did so far:

• try the update through the fairphone updater -> no succes

• try the update manually: download the right bin and use the updater to start and install -> no succes

• try to reflash my current firmware 1.13.0 (succes) and after that tried to install 17.04.8 -> no succes

Everytime made sure that the cache was empty and all the updates in the Playstore were installed.

Greetings,

Dennis

Yes, these two methods won’t work because your device has either a boot, system or recovery partition modified. [quote=“Led71, post:144, topic:27884”]
try to reflash my current firmware 1.13.0 (succes) and after that tried to install 17.04.8 -> no succes
[/quote]

Then my question remains; how do you flash? Through ADB? You used the provided 1.13.0 binary image with the included flash script?

Hi Rick,

I never rooted the phone, so I am curious why my Phone has a boot, system or recovery partition modified.

I always have used the updater to install new firmware. One time it didn’t work automatically, i had to download the bin on my phone and install it with the updater. I never used the ADB method.

Greetings,

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Updating through the Updater app is something different than flashing a device. The bin you mentioned is not the image file, but the OTA (over-the-air) .zip file. This procedure won’t solve your issue; it’s basically the same as downloading the update through the Updater app, but now you just load it in manually.

Altering the partition is also possible by using a different recovery in the past - not rooting the device is not always the only reason why it doesn’t work. Have you modified anything in the past? Like using a different recovery?

In short; to solve the issue with your phone you need to flash it with the binary image file provided on the download page. I’ve read you already contacted my colleague Gabriele, he can assist you further :slight_smile: And yes, a factory reset will solve the issue, but try to use that as a last resort.

The “reboot” and “airplane mode” option are gone from the power off menu. Is there another way to reboot the phone?

1 Like

I made an opposite experience this weekend! :unamused:
While driving, the Phone lost very frequently the Signal, leading to wrong indications or none at all. sometimes it was lost for a short time (< 1min) sometimes I had to close and reopen the navigation App to resolve the problem … Not what someone should to while driving
I uninstalled the App “GPS Status & Toolbox” which never made any troubles but as it is active in the background when GPS is connected, I thought it would help. First it seemed to work better, but then the signal was lost again… :disappointed:
I used alternately TomTom Go and Google Maps (Android Auto). TomTom seemed to work better.

I don’t know if this is related with Android 6, but I never had these troubles with Android 5. GPS is very important for me, I don’t use it every day, but it should be reliable and work when it is needed!

Airplane mode can be accessed from the swipe down menu. Reboot (for the moment) only by turning the phone off and on again …

No you didn’t! :wink: @WoBoW was takling about this issue, which you clearly don’t have.
For general GPS troubles check out the gpsguide.