Android 12 for FP4?

If you check the CVEs these can be e.g. Bluetooth or WiFi vulnerabilities. Those can be remotely exploited if Murphy’s law is in effect. They are important as well, also graphical and sound drivers can be vulnerable, but locally exploited. And indeed, FP has this issue as well for their “long term support”.

1 Like

Of course it’s always risky not to have patched Firmware, I’m just saying the risk in my opinion is lower than unpatched software. At least in practice.

I’m not terribly worried about 2G/3G/4G hacks, and besides, GrapheneOS has a 4G only mode that should kill most of those hacks from working
I’m not terribly worried about WiFi hacks, as I only ever use my WiFi at home or at work
I am slightly more worried about a Bluetooth hack, as I have it enabled when I go for walks with my wireless headphones (Thanks for killing the headphone jack, Fairphone!)
When it comes to graphical and sound drivers I have no real opinion on the subject, as I’ve never once considered those possibilities to be honest.

For comparison, I’m a lot more worried that an app I’ve installed uses a CVE to do weird stuff with my phone, or that I browse onto a website that uses a zero click. And when it comes to that GrapheneOS is second to none on cellphones.

If you monitor the monthly updates and then the Qualcomm added security stuff, you may change your mind.

1 Like

I actively try not to monitor stuff like that. I feel it gives me nothing but anxiety :grin:

2 Likes

No news yet?
The year is almost over. :blush:

1 Like

Yes:

8 Likes

I am probably late to the party but would be happy to beta test.

Best is to #contactsupport since FP employees don’t actively read this forum.

Sometines I think they should :slight_smile:.

9 Likes

Hi there,

are there any news or rumours about the launch of Android 12 for the FP4?

Stefan

I haven’t heard any.

From what I’ve seen, one day there will be an announcement in the forum and the update will be available. No prior warning, no rumors. Can happen any minute (day, month, year) now… :grin:

5 Likes

I heard something similar from the Fairphone Facebook page. (in a comment)
It’s in progress and will come “soon”, but no specific date jet.

1 Like

Soon™

Personally I’m still disappointed it wasn’t released last year as promised. Going from Nova Launcher to the stock launcher is like buying a new sports car. Android 11 just doesn’t have the APIs required to make custom launchers snappy. Supposedly that has changed with Android 12. Oh well.

1 Like

Although I’m using an FP3 the Nova Launcher and A11 work fine ??

But the gesture controls are terrible with Custom Launchers in A11 (at least for me)

seriously, dont waste your and our time any more, stop messing with android 12 which is ancient just as well, go for android13.

which leads to the actual ultimate question that I have had ever since… how much money do we all need to fork over to not just make lives sustainable amongst the factory workers of fairphone supply chain, or go for fair ores and metals and digging holes in the ground, but also allow for fair wages and payment of the (still? external?) teams that handle our software stack and update and upgrade needs.

seriously. how much should a fairphone4ultimate or fairphone5 cost that you guys can just as well pay the software team properly. this team seems seriously underfunded or nonexistant at all, or gone into hiding for months right after an update has been released.

so bad. I am serously disappointed by the software layer of fairphone. for years now.
please. do tell. i really want to know. it seems that i have funded pretty much everybody from the ceo of fairphone to a whole lot of people left and right. but apparently i have not funded the software guys decently. not at all.

sucks :frowning:

7 Likes

microsoft launcher works fine with gestures (but only since 4-5 month)

You are aware that it is a bit of a rant to the other users, you are not really talking to Fairphone, though you could send them an email if they are your target support@fairphone.com

2 Likes

Hi Stefan, four your information :

I think we will have to wait a few more time due to holidays and tests before deployment.

Regards, Emmanuel