Android 11 and call recordings

Up to Android 9 (or earlier, I can’t remember) I could record phone calls quite easily there was a button on Google phone app.

I’m using now Android 10 and that feature is no longer available.

What about Android 11? Is that feature back?

Thanks.

Ciao,
Max

It may be that as it is illegal to record some phone calls in some countries the simple option has been removed to avoid users breaking the law, by not requesting permission first.

1 Like

With FP3, LOS 18.1 (Android 11) the button is available and working

Here is something about 3rd party recording apps, but it also says that the build in record button could still work
Google will kill call recording apps on Android for good starting May 11

According to this, call recording is not illegal in Italy

1 Like

Call recording is legal in Italy, as you also noticed, nevertheless the button to record a call disappeared in Android 10, even in pre-installed Google phone app (which is the one installed on FP3+).

You said in your phone is present. May I ask you what country are you?

I just want to check if the configuration for your country showed in the source file you linked is the same as Italy.

If so I think there is a good chance it’ll also reappear on mine.

Ciao,
Max

I’m in Austria
But don’t forget: I’m using Lineage OS

Austria seems to have the same boolean flag as Italy, both are set to “true”.

According to the article you posted, “The changes won’t affect the native call recording functionality that comes pre-installed on some phones”.

As I’m using the preinstalled Google phone app I think there is a chance call recording will start working again.

I’ll let you know…

Ciao,
Max

Ok, I wish you all the best

Franz

It doesn’t work…

No “record” button reappeared in the pre-installed Google phone app and using the newly appeared “Sound Recorder” application doesn’t work either.

I’d like to try with the Screen Recorder which should be on Android 11 but I can’t find it.

Ciao,
Max

You might try out “TruePhone” as mentioned here:

As d2w explained above (but I also found other sources on internet) Google has blocked third parties app from recording calls. Only the preinstalled phone app can do that.

This is the official information but actually I can’t record with the preinstalled phone app either. I wonder why…

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Ok, I understood it that they’re blocked from Play store. But probably you’re right and they’re blocked within the Android OS system.

1 Like

It most certainly isn’t. But there may be a conflict with privacy protection. What’s illegal is the unknown recording of a phone call. You can solve this by simply asking your counterpart if it’s ok to record the call. I suggest a two-step approach.

1. Turn recording off, tell the counterpart you want to record the call, ask him if it’s fine by him.
    2.a. If 1 no: No way to legally record calls.
    2.b. If 1 yes: Turn recording on, ask the same question. Record the Yes. Proceed.

So whenever your counterpart gives his ok to the recording it’s quite likely legal to record the call.

2 Likes

Yes it is can be illegal without consent, as you put it. The problem with a simple user option is that people will find it very easy to do so without prior consent. I know someone who has done that.

Different countries different legislation. In the UK it’s not illegal for personal use.

Having to install a custom app to do that reduces such ‘illicit’ activity, but doesn’t stop it. I imagine Google just didn’t want to take the rap for misuse.

1 Like

Hi Max, oh what a pity!
I suggest that you ask the Fairphone Support directly about the chances of getting (back) the Record Button, at least they answer sometimes…

1 Like

That’s a good idea, I’ll get in touch with the support.

Thanks.

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Hi all,

Fairphone support replied by explaining that Google Phone app decided not to make available that feature in some countries. Apparently, but this is only my opinion, this decision is not related to legal issues as in Italy recording a call is perfectly legal.

However, a list of countries where call recording is available through Google Phone app (as a preinstalled application) is available at the link below:

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/thread/117420889/call-recording-availability?hl=en

As far as I have understood, in Italy recording a call on an Android device is only possible on devices that have a preinstalled phone application that allows accessing that feature.

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Thanks for posting, I agree with you, and this list is really poor.
Apparently (at the first glance) no country from the EU at all, smells like politics

Google, being US based may be concerned about the EU GPDR and want to keep out of any litigation.

2 Likes