Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

Please note you are not addressing Fairphone here. This a community forum. So it’s good that you contacted support.

1 Like

I don’t have WiFi on my phone so that can’t be it

At moment. I with Giffgaff for cell service and on android 10

FWIW I’m on GiffGaff (MVNO on O2 network) too - I had to follow the instructions here to get data working originally: Data not working

1 Like

First step to check would be removing the SIM card(s) and seeing if it reboots.
Could one of you experiencing the issue try this (if you didn’t already do it, I can’t remember if it has been suggested already)?

This is what I have observed too - when on mobile internet then I have zero reboots. When I turn WIFI on, then soon (within hours or max day) there is reboot. For known reasons (that needs fixing :sweat_smile:) I have unstable WIFI at home and get disconnects from WIFI regularly.

I also tried to turn off mobile internet as fallback, but still got reboots (so it couldn’t be switching between WIFI<->mobile, but rather WIFI itself losing connection).

I have read your newer messages that still getting reboots on mobile internet, but this I haven’t observed for me. For past week I’ve been like 95% on mobile internet and no reboots, and 5% on WIFI where I get reboot and then I decide to go back to mobile internet until I need smth from local WIFI network.

1 Like

So, it really looks like a problem with the upgrade, that some users are facing.
For them - and for the time being - turning back to Android 9 might be the best option.
Meanwhile I expect Fairphone to work frantically on a solution. To help them, once again this hint

Everyone having troubles should contact support and add the information of the network provider and the country

The link to Android 9, that I posted in this thread is still working. Just be aware, that going back requires backing up your data, as they will be wiped (if I am not mistaken):

6 Likes

Thanks for the help @BertG.

Not sure if it helps, but I’ll post anyway. I have a FP3 and upgraded to Android 10 resulting in many reboots each day. I turned off the wifi and no reboots since. Today I turned it on just to check and I had a reboot within two hours. So for me, it helps turning off the wifi.

4 Likes

I see a pretty clear link between the reboots and switching between wifi and 4g. Ever since @Jvnn pointed it out I’ve been carefully watching the behavior and noticed that most of the reboots happen in one specific location in my home. A spot where my Wifi has the least connectivity and i often switch to 4g. Another place where i noticed it was when leaving home and losing connection with the Wifi outside. My carrier for wifi and mobile is T-mobile. Could it be that the Wifi hardware plays a role? When in my office at work it doesn’t seem to trigger reboots when switching between connectivity. Don’t know what wifi carrier we have there.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Thanks for flagging this issue both here and with our customer support team. Currently, our software team is investigating this issue. They are also liaising with the manufacturer to find a solution.

As this is random, our team is in the process of collecting information in order to identify a pattern to reproduce the issue. Therefore, if you are experiencing random reboots and have not yet contacted our customer support team, please do so. When doing so, please include the following information:

• Network Operator(s)
  • Country where experiencing the issue
  • Build number (settings > about phone > build number)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue. (For example, if it happens after using certain apps, making a call, etc.)
  • Whether you are using a SD card
  • Frequency of the issue.

In the meantime, each case will be handled by our customer support team. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience, but thank you for your patience and understanding. As soon as I have an update, I will return to this thread with more information.

Rae

13 Likes

I had about 2 or 3 random reboots on a warm day when I carried the FP3 in a pouch, and otherwise used Maps and left it on or something like that. The device was very hot! It was a few weeks ago, still running Android 9. I don’t use microSD as of now in FP3 ("64 GB should be enough for me :wink: ").

I really don’t want to sound like an apologist, but the situation wasn’t by any means normal (it was warm, I had the device in a pouch, and I left Maps on).

Given I recently read this trick I wonder if it actually might be EM triggered from hot weather.

Maybe - in your case - it was just due to (extreme) overheating?
Don’t know, if this really can happen as a safety measure, but I wouldn’t be surprised either.

I updated about ten days ago and since then my phone has been shutting down at random, perhaps two or three times a day. Any ideas on how to fix?

Welcome to the community forum!
I moved your post here as it is more appropriate for a discussion. Please have a look at this thread.

Thanks Alex, I’ve read the thread now and have cleared the cashe from all Apps, will let you know whether that helps.

1 Like

I have the same problem. One time, immediately after the update, wile I was opening an app (Telegram), twice by pressing the power button during a call and other random.

I took my memory card out that seems to of work cross fingers toes and pray to all Holy things

1 Like

I am 100% convinced the random reboots have something to do with the latest Android 10 Upgrade. My phone was running perfectly well until I received the notification I should upgrade. I successfully ignored it for weeks until I was forced to upgrade (no option anymore to postpone). Literally, after the upgrade the phone started with the random reboots…no matter if on the phone, on the desk or elsewhere. How can I undo the upgrade? I am sure this problem would disappear if I hadn´t Android 10.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community forum.

You could use the file FP3-REL-2.A.0134-20200703.120010-userdebug-fastbootimage.7z from here …

… with the guide from here (not downloading the file suggested in the guide) …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-on-FP3-FP3-

Be aware that a downgrade of the major Android version (from Android 10 back to 9) as well as unlocking/relocking the bootloader (included in the guide) will force a factory reset, so you will lose your data on the phone if you follow this procedure, so backup all your important data beforehand or make sure it is completely synced to the internet.

4 Likes

Yes me too.

They broke my phone. FP3 with Android10 = randomreboots.

See this: Android 10 with bugs - e.g. reboots (build ....0045)
And yes, I have contacted support too.

They should really not wrongly announce a beta version as an essential upgrade, that is very bad style IMHO.

Any FP veterans here? --> how many hours days weeks months years does it usually take until new versions are released?

Phone is declared BROKEN until new build is released.

Thanks rae, that is helpful. Good that you are working on it.

That was 2 weeks ago. Any progress?

Could you perhaps publish a short list of things I can do that might possibly reduce the number of randomreboots? (e.g. airplane more, uninstall certain apps, etc.)

Even if not 100% sure, that would help already.

Stuff we can try.

Thanks.

1 Like