An update on Fairphone 3

The “drawbacks” are quite affordable, as long as device qualities can be matched to each other. As it seems at the moment, Fairphone rely on the consumers who shall do the beta testing for them (for now).

If I buy blue jeans, I tend to choose a fair trade product. But should I experience that the new trousers wind up way too early, I am through with them and - sadly - will buy unfair ones again. The goal must be to offer almost the same quality, and Fairphone have big potential in this regard. And if they do, they certainly would become a big player in the smartphone industry…

2 Likes

The goal? this is not football. It is the play, the game, not the score that counts. Playing Fair with the other players is the game, the score is total can be a zero draw, but the game has to be first class.

But I get it, all people look to the future and what they can get, a better life, a better life for others, or a better phone what is your game play?

Think of another word for “goal”. (I have meant “achievement”…)

I just want what I paid for: a working phone and no updates that break features…

3 Likes

This is where I differ: it not about what I paid for it about who paid for what I want.

Fair isn’t about how I am treated but how I treat the world around me.

That is a selfless attitude. You rely on people to be good to you, but you are a human being, too. If I took your statement seriously, I would not have to care to be friendly to you, because I already knew that you do not mind to be treated badly. In fact, we should respect each other…

@anon9989719 @DeepSea

You have very interesting discussions but they are not related to the topic. Maybe you should create another one instead of debating in every possible topics ?

9 Likes

I leave it to @anon9989719 whether he wants to continue discussing about god and the world or not, of course in a separate thread…

2 Likes

I have a separate thread, exactly for that purpose, which I can’t imagine you missed :slight_smile: @Alain_Guillet @DeepSea

but just in case it’s not the place to be, that is there, some other place.

You don’t need to care or be friendly for/to me and I don’t want you to unless it’s to understand yourself, but to understand yourself your focus can be anywhere but if it’s external then it won’t last . . . .

You can not treat me badly, though you may think you can.

Sadly I may care for what appears external but that’s not it. The external only shows me how careless I am and I have no respect for nor want it from anyone. The notion of we is a trap to continued consumption, why would I want to further that.

I know I am not making sense to anyone but then I am only trying to understand and find the immortality amongst this decaying and decrepit game.

Repeating what others have said, but the cited Longevity promise reads as follows:

According to market research firm Kantar Worldpanel users in Europe kept their phones for an average of 2-3 years in 2018. Our ambition is to provide you phones that last a minimum of 5 years.

This promise is only kept for “you” if you got an FP3 on launch. With support ending five years after launch, Fairphone lets “you” down if you bought later, believing in this promise. Fairphone please, if you make promises, don’t play on words and be vague and tell everyone later “you understood it wrong”.

Providing phones that are supported 5 years on launch day for every phone released (one day of the year each year at best), and between 3 and 5 years for everyone else, is not the same thing as providing your customers phones that last a minimum of 5 years. You are providing phones that are supported a maximum of 5 years.

2 Likes

Yes who knows when Fairphone will run out of FP3 modules.

FP2 was still being sold in 2019 but there are no more bottom modules and worse they seem to be very sketchy.

It was first released in December 2015, and production ceased in 2018,
Fairphone 2 - Wikipedia

Where is there any promise?
The passage you cite reads “Our ambition is […] a minimum of […]”

Just based on what you cite as a promise (perhaps there’s a real one elsewhere?) … If you understand as a promise what isn’t a promise at all, then you understand it wrong. Sorry.

Make a sensible choice you can live with and be mature (pending better proposals for a word here) about it.

Edit: Aha! @JanW has a point afterall … it’s a link to the cited non-promise that makes it a promise:

1 Like

Hi this is developing ??

I agree there was no promise made but there was an expectation raised and I understand the disappointment if someone buys a phone two or three years after launch.

The ‘ambition’ statement can lead to a misunderstanding which then may be seen as misrepresentation of the what the consumer can expect.

I’m not sure the last sentence sits well with me on two fronts:

I’m not sure I can make choices that make sense to others hence I see no objective meaning and secondly implying someone is immature seems a bit rude.

Maturity is a loaded word, usually associated with cheese and wine as examples, but how to gauge what it is to be a mature person is surely subjective.

Unfortunately non-native English speakers like me will have to look up some words. Mature was dict.cc’s first result. Would “responsible” fit better? “Sovereign” fits what I mean in my language, too, but sounds odd in English in the context.

1 Like

Well, Fairphone in their initial post here called that article their “longevity promise” (their words, not mine), and the passage I cited is the closest to a promise I have found.

3 Likes

Got it’

But just like what you’d expect from us, we will stick to our longevity promise

Oops!

I wonder where the original promise was made that is referred to as the link doesn’t show the promise they allegedly made. ???

This is the only smartphone to receive an upgrade to Android 9 and we had to build the operating system without any support from chip-maker Qualcomm.

Still I’ve got to Fairphone fair credit despite the shortcomings.

Well spotted, you have a point there. I edited my earlier post.
Not very clever of them to link to the article that way.

1 Like

While you are basically right here, the final conlusion still is wrong.
It would a maximum of 5 years only, if they would end support five years after starting sales.
But that’s not the case. The FP2 was delivered beginning in December 2015 and it received an update to Android 9 in April 2021, which is more than five years. So, it’s not a maximum.
They still offer a minimum of 5 years support, but only from the moment they start selling the phone. Two years later it’s a minimum of 3 years though, as you already pointed out.

6 Likes

Didn’t see it mentioned anywhere else (tell me if it was already said), but Fairphone 3+ seems to be back in stock! :smiley:

8 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.