Alternative Apps(tores): Living without Google (FP1)

There’s something odd with your F-Droid app… Happy you solved it manually, but I’m afraid your father will not receive updates… :confused:

Same issue here, though I can install other Apps… Should we start another thread for other visitors to see?

Press the three-dotted icon in the top right corner on F-Droids main screen. Then tap “Repositories”. Make sure “F-Droid” is enabled and not just “F-Droid Archive”. Then press the circular arrow icon to reload repositories.
Then you should have RadioDroid 0.24 displayed as the newest version.

2 Likes

Worked like a charm, thanks!

I would suggest to close F-Droid, and wipe all of its application data - this should bring it back to “stock”.

While browsing F-Droid, I came across Yalp Store. Has anyobdy tried this yet? It would save me using raccoon on the Laptop and transferring my files. I haven’t tried it myself.

7 Likes

Works like a charm. Just don’t forget to clean your Downloads folder of APKs after each use.

Works wonderful. I can download all the apps in google store without installing the whole google mess.

Of course you need and google account to be able to download the apks, but you can create a fake google account…

1 Like

Just tried and it works perfectly! Thank you for your suggestion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When you have UnifiedNIp, yalp says there is an update. If you click on the app to update it, it opens google play services…

There are several UnifiedNIp Versions
GAPPS based, AOSP based (without GAPPS) and Legacy.
Check F-Droid to see, which one you have installed. Because its a system App, you need root to remove it first and than install another version.

Just ignore the update. This is the best.

Yeah, I just wanted to point out the irony, when you install UnifiedNIp without GAPPS to avoid using gms and then Yalp offers gms as an update to UnifiedNIp.
But as you said, I’m not updating this way! F-droid is still my main app store.

I don’t think that would even work. UnifiedNLP is not a real GMS, and Yalp probably would not be able to update UnifiedNLP by the official GMS.

The point here is UnifiedNLP and microG Services Core need to impersonate GMS to be able to replace its services. They share the package ID, which Yalp Store (and F-Droid, and every other store out there) use as an identifier, and as a side effect, confuse it. But if you try to install the “update”, the package installer reports you can’t, because of different package signatures. So no problem, just a little visual issue here, :blush:.

Also remember that Google don’t want us to avoid their services in their walled-garden OS, so microG and UnifiedNLP are working on a limited framework which inevitably causes this kind of issues.

You can read more about this specific problem here:

and about Android’s security model some posts above the quoted before:

3 Likes

I guessed it was due to such a reason, thanks for the good explanation! It’s nice to read tech stuff on this forum for people like me who don’t know much about development.

3 Likes

Does anyone know a good calendar app (no widget!) Previously I had the “aCalendar” https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.withouthat.acalendar, the month view was exactly what I wanted. Does anyone know what comparable for Android without Googles Play Store?

aCalendar - month view:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/IWVjf20QufO8QraOB6ryUMgEziGGOm4qAJgclNOxK7djKl5hVAoY2iICs2RGOV3UyA=h900

Hace you searched F-Droid for “calendar”? There are some standalone calendars available.

@Enzi1984
You can also use Yalp (from F-Droid) to install Guhgel Apps, e.g. acalendar. However, some apps might require the Guhgel backbone, so the app might not work in FP Open.

1 Like

From F-Droid i installed ETAR and found it to be worth a try on the first view. Didn’t test it intensively yet, though.

2 Likes

@BeMiGro
Etar is not available for the FP1U as it requires Android 4.4 (FP1U has 4.2). Thanks anyway! :slight_smile:

@Stefan
Yes, have tested about 7 …

@DietmarP
yeah, works great! Thanks!!