Alternative Apps(tores): Living without Google (FP1)

I know some cyclists use Open Cycle Map (based on osm).

1 Like

Try bikecitizens. It’s on the Play Store, but it works well without any Google stuff here on my FP1.

1 Like

Aw man that looks exactly like what I need! Thanks mate! :wink:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

I installed Yalp recently and it seems to use its own fake account: it didn’t ask me for any credentials. Have they changed their approach or did I misunderstand?

Any arguments pro/against either Yalp or Raccoon (which I used up to now)? In other words, does anything speak against using Yalp rather than Raccoon (not depending on a computer does indeed make it a lot simpler…

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

I also find Yalp a lot more comfortable than Racoon. I think that Yalp is okay to be used. You should be careful, however, if you use Yalp with your own Google account.

Read more in their FAQ: https://github.com/yeriomin/YalpStore#faq

3 Likes

Said so, I’ve using a specific, disposable account created only for that purpose for the now obsolete NoGapps (microG) BlankStore, for three (or four?!) years now and I didn’t have any problem.
Anyhow, I recommend using the default Yalp Store credentials now that it has them.

1 Like

Pretty nice list of alternative apps. I leave here some that I normally use a lot too:

• NewPipe: Youyube player
  • AdAway: To block ads
  • AFWall: Firewall
  • Face Slim: Facebook client without tracking and ligther performance
  • Notable: To make notaions
  • OI Shopping List
  • QuickDic: Offline translator
  • Simpletask: Todo list
  • Transportr: Public transport times
  • Droidfish: Chess game
  • Coin flip: To flip a virtual coin
2 Likes

Can you explain me? There is any risk to do that?

Hi, one quick question: is it very useful to have a firewall on your phone? In what situations might it increase safety? And what impact does it have on performance and battery life?

Thank you in advance, have a good day :slight_smile:

Hi @Juulll I use AFWall as a Firewall. There you can explicitly say, which apps ans system apps are allowed into the internet, depending on the channel (WiFi, Mobile, Roaming). I only let apps into the open, from which I know the need internet access. Some Kids games ie don’t have access.

2 Likes

Thank you @Friek I will check it out! :slight_smile:

In theory it’s illegal (check Google’s ToS) to access the Play Store using non-Google apps. So (again, in theory) Google can close down your account if you do so. That said I’ve never heard of any actual such situation.

In recent Yalp versions a fake Google account is created by default.

1 Like

OK i understand. Thank you.

I’m so glad I read this! I’m new to the whole F-Droid thing, so I hope I can install all of this when I get my future Fairphone. I know I can Google search this but how do I even get started on getting rid of google and putting these apps? I am not familiar with technical terms oops (so embrassing )

1 Like

In the US, I think your best bet currently would be to research phones capable of running LineageOS, an Open Source Android variant free of Google’s Apps and services by default.

Many of us here run that on the Fairphone 2, too, even if Fairphone offer their own Google-free Android in the form of Fairphone Open OS. For more info and inspiration, there’s this topic …

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.