Alarm not starting if FP2 is off

##Original Post:

I really loved the feature of the FP1 where the alarm clock was working when the phone was switched off. Somehow this feature is not working for me on the FP2.

I did different tests, but it won’t work.

Anyone with the same issue or a solution?

Thanks for your help.

##Workaround:

:warning: While this works for some people, others will get stuck on an endless boot loop when enabling quickboot mode.

4 Likes

I haven’t received my FP2 yet, but this would/will be an annoying problem for me as well as I will want to use the alarm clock 5 days a week, and leaving the phone on all night is not an option for various reasons.

2 Likes

You could put your phone on airplane mode, which is turning all connections off to avoid being disturbed, waves and considerably diminish battery consumption. That’s what I do every night with my current phone.

2 Likes

This is standard behaviour for an Android phone. I’m not sure how they got round it with the FP1. I just put it on silent and aeroplane mode.

Actually I think that the FP1 is an exceptional phone in that way, as most smartphone don’t support turning on for the alarm clock. I also felt it was a great feature, and I don’t understand why this is not a standard for phones.

That said, I always encrypt my phone drives. With an encrypted drive also with the FP1 this feature didn’t work: the phone would turn on, but then asking for your password before booting, so basically you don’t get to the alarm clock while asleep.

Thus at home I have an extra alarm clock (some thing that I needed to get after changing from regular phones to smartphones, which also made me wonder which phones are actually smarter) or I also use the flightmode.

I think for enabling the phone while shutdown, additional hardware like a real-time clock (RTC) is needed. I don’t think this is available on FP2 (maybe there is a RTC, but I haven’t read about yet).

What you can do is enable QuickBoot mode: first enable Developer options by tapping the Build number ten times in Settings -> About phone. Then go to Settings -> Developer options and enable QuickBoot mode. Now turning your phone off won’t actually fully power it down, and the device is able to wake up for an alarm.

5 Likes

Thanks. Just tested and this works. Now I’m wondering if I also did this trick on the FP1…

which impact to this “QuickBoot” in general? More power consumption during “switched off”, faster boot time?
Who knows more details?

I advice extreme caution with the “QuickBoot” mode! It made my FP2 unusable for now. Any help would be appreciated in this thread.

EDIT: My FP1 made it out of its “QuickBoot”-induced boot loop itself when I left it on looping over night. But after that shock I’d rather go into flight mode when I want to use the alarm clock from now on.

I just tested and QuickBoot Mode works perfectly for me.
It takes only a second to boot the device! :open_mouth:

I did this last night and it worked when after I turned it out. It went on again afterwards. But this morning it didn’t go off, and when I turned the phone on, it kept saying ‘loading…’. And very short it said ‘starting app 1 of 94’ or the same massage with other digits. Then I saw the blue page with Fairphone and it started reloading again. Just over and over. I can’t get it started anymore. I took out the battery.

That happens a lot unfortunately, I’ll edit the first post warning about quickboot mode.

2 Likes

It happened to me as well after the software update. It worked in the beginning and after a night it started rebooting when I switched it on. More over the alarm didn’t ring even thogh yesterday I tried it and it worked afte putting the quick reboot settings.

[Edit: Found in another thread that the option disappeared with an update because till now fairphone could not solve the boot loop issue.]

Hey guys,
I got my fairphone 2 recently and I’m struggling with the alarm as well. Maybe it’s a stupid question but where exactly can I find the quick boot option. I think I read the tenth time all available settings in the developer settings section and couldn’t find it.
Maybe the option is gone with an update?
[Fairphone 2 open OS 16.08.0]