Advocating a FP2 mini

I second the idea of a mini, although it’s obviously much too early now. I would first want the various glitches taken care of, above all being able to phone without problems, having a camera that works an various other problems.

One of the reasons I ordered a FP2 was because I thought it would be the size of the FP1… dumb of me, I know. When I read (after ordering) that it would be a little bigger because “that’s what the market wants” I thought okay, but I didn’t expect such a monster! Previously I had an old iphone (bought second hand) because it was the smallest one I could find used (am in Switzerland where phones are replaced very quickly).

I think the main problem is the modular system. I would not mind at all having a phone that is thicker instead of thinner because it’s more ergonomic, despite “what the market wants”. However, I fear FP will not have the resources to make another modular design for a mini, especially if they cannot find solutions to the numerous problems already existing.

1 Like

If FP keep the same modules, it wourld be possible to create a Fairphone midi, by cuting a bit on the left and right side from the case, were the akku, is so the phone would be a bit shorter, but i guess it would not be enought to call him mini. :smiley:
A funny name could be Fairpone -, miss Fairphone, Fairphone junior. :wink:
I think it could be possible to have three different sizes, with nearly the same modules.
FP jr. (FP2.01), FP2 and FP pro with 7"

Nearly 33% of all active iPhones are models with 4" displays Nearly 33% of all active iPhones are models with 4" displays - GSMArena.com news

These numbers confirm that one-third of the active iPhones users are loving their 4” display and aren’t exchanging it for a bigger one. If you add the iPhone 4s and older 3.5" models, we get a number close to 40% of users not using larger model iPhone.

1 Like

Hi,
New here. I was planning to sold my Nexus 5 (which runs Sailfish OS) to buy a FP2. So, I took my Jolla phone back in my small hands. And despite the horrible screen of the Jolla phone, I thought: “Hey, it’s better in my hands than the N5”. As a result, I’m full of doubts regarding the opportunity to buy a FP2. I really want to support the initiative, but 74 mm is really too wide for me.

I think the engineering process and lot of artefacts could be reused from the FP2 to make a FP2 mini. Same style, same frame design (keep it thick, it’s way better to be driven with one hand), same battery, same components, but a 4.5" 720p screen (around 66mm width) would be really really great and I would buy it in minutes, with, of course, the ability to run Sailfish OS.

I too expected the fp2 to be the same size as the fp1, as really don’t like big phones. OK stupid of me, should have looked more closely at specs, but I wanted to support the fair electronics thing.
Am two weeks in to using this brick and finding lots of buggy things… And just too big for my purposes.
But having spent serious cash on this now not sure what to do. Is there a re sale market out there?

1 Like

Yes:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/unofficial-second-hand-fairphone-2-marketplace-sell-buy/16305/

1 Like

If the arrival of the phone is less than two weeks ago, you can also give it back and get a refund.

3 Likes

For myself, I’m abolutely happy with the size of my FP2, actually, I got used to the screen size surprisingly quick (had a 4" SGS before).

But my wife refuses to replace her old phone by a FP2 because it’s just too big for her. Her maximum acceptable size is somewhere about 4.5".

I absolutely see the difficulties of designing a FP2 mini and it’s clear to me that this is not achievable short or mid term (e.g. in the next year), but I also think there is a market for smaller sized model.

1 Like

No thanks. 4" would be unnecessarily small for me. Also Nokia N97 was a pretty horrible device, so I’m not sure what you mean by Nokia being “at it’s best”. That time was Nokia at its’ worst imo.

1 Like

Just adding my two cents pro Mini: a couple of months after I received my FP2, I’m still using my old Samsung S4 Mini, among others because I had been so supportive of the FP concept I hadn’t payed attention to the size… If it weren’t that I want to be a living promotion of it, I might even consider ‘giving it away’.

I consider myself definitely part of an existing market for a mini… but still, a solid strategy, integrated concept,… is vital. So keep the debate, info and arguments coming :).

2 Likes

I’m exactly in the same position, I’ve been so supportive of the FairPhone concept that I didn’t paid enought attention to the size.

Then, to be true, I am even more annoyed by the 2-days battery life resulting of the screen size. If I’m not reloading the FP2 once every two days, it will shutdown during the 2nd night. So I have to constantly monitor this parameter. It feels I’m spending my life on it and I can’t wait to get my Neo900 with Replicant.

I’d definifly opt for a smaller phone as well. When I broke my FP1U screen, the FP2 size was my exclusion criterion. However, while I tried to replace my FP1 (because of a spare parts issue), I realized that the FP2 is among the smaller smartphones when dual sim is one important requirement. After a few discussions with friends and colleagues, I got the impression, we - the 4-4.5" fraction - are a minority. So I guess, FP made the right decision when aiming to target the biggest market with fair production being the unique selling point.

1 Like

Things are evolving on my side also.

I get annoyed to carry a powerdown brick in my pockets.

A phone which needs to be plugged in once every two days (if not used) and which just shutdown (when not rebooting for itself since update) if used, reveals itself too much attention-requiring for me.

[edit] Using FPOSOS I have 4 days of autonomy, it’s a great improvement.

1 Like

I’ve been a happy user of Nokia E72 since 2009. It still works for finding basic info in the net, navigation etc. but some software is not working on Symbian anymore (e.g. skype, soon whatsapp).
Frankly, I love the design of E72, too bad that it doesn’t have similar development as N900 with Neo900!!

One of the main reasons for not getting a new phone is the size of new smartphones with FP2 resembling IMHO much more a small tablet than a pocket-size phone. Mini version of the Fairphone would be great!!

1 Like

I also want to advocate a FP mini. Like others, I fully supported the idea of an ethical phone but didn’t pay enough attention to the size, hence I ordered. Now, I realize that a smaller version would be more comfortable.

I hesitated due to the screen size (as well as the cost!) but I have to say that now … I love it. 5" is about perfect, a little big for my hands admitted but nice on my eyes! My FP2 went wrong the other week and for a day or two I went back to an old Moto Defy+ (3.7")… the screen seemed tiny (lower resolution being part of the problem mind), two days later I’d “had” to buy a spare 5" smartphone so as to read emails and webpages.

My partner has a sony Z3 compact, which is a lovely size (and a rather nice “thing” all round) - but there is no way you would fit the modularity of the FP2 into that space envelope. The Z3 Compact is a non maintainable sealed glass brick.

If something kills the fairphone it will be cost, not size. My new “spare” is a motoG which cost me £129; identical size to the FP2, the screen res and memory are smaller than the FP2 (though for £179 I could have matched the FP2’s specs) … and it is, sadly, a pretty good device - runs Android 6, takes SD cards, waterproof to 1m (IP67), highly responsive and bright screen. Lower processing power apparently - but you’d never know.

4 Likes

+1 for a smaller FP, that fits in my hand

It has become very obvious that you simply want all of us to get a new Fairphone 2

Lots of people would never buy FP2 as it is way too big and therefore for them not practical at all. On the contrary FP1 has a perfect size!

TOTALLY AGREE!! i thought it was me liking more manageable things. I agree that FP1/FP1U size is absolutely perfect, my thumb can go across the screen with no problem and i reach all bits.

I think they should take the FP1U base and upgrade its components as people wish. For instance if the processor can now be better, create an upgrade so we can buy it and install it or send it to them to do so if so we wish… or if th camera can be better, create a better camera component which again, we can purchase and upgrade our phone… i really thought it would be like this for Fairphone!

I am actually super happy with almost everything about my FP1U, except that my battery life requires me to change a new one… but wouldnt it be great to just be able to buy each bit as we need it and this way extending the phone´s core life?

1 Like

Yes, exactly! I would never buy such a big phone like FP2, even when my FP1U goes dead …Which would be terrible for Fairphone’s image, then yes, I thought too that we could upgrade by changing/buying new components.

I also can say that I am happy with almost everything about my FP1U …But still waiting for a system upgrade since last year without any news from FF’s side!! For instance, without using my phone a lot at all, I too have to recharge the battery more than once a day, which really is annoying, and sometimes again (I let once repair/replace the motherboard because of the same issue) the phone doesn’t want to charge straight away…