Active car holders for Fairphones available?

I use the smartphone for navigation while driving with my car, which is consuming much battery capacity. So I always changed the active car cradle (Brodit) when I switched to a new smartphone.

As I am very interested for the Fairphone 4, I searched an active car cradle for the previous Fairphones to find out if any cradle might become available for this device. But I had no luck with it.
I don’t want to use one of the universal holders as I want to have one that fits to my smartphone and where the power is connected when I plug the smartphone in the cradle.

It would be great if anyone knows who offers active car cradles for the Fairphones. It also might be 3D printed.

1 Like

There are a few 3Dprintable models for FP3 and 2, for example this one: Fairphone FP3 car mount by gandyverse - Thingiverse As soon as there is a proper mockup of the FP4 it would be relatively easy to adjust or make a new holder for the FP4 (most of the FP3 cases and holders used the FP3 mockup which was posted on Thingiverse firtst).
Thingiverse is not the best site for 3D models anymore, alas. so maybe on other sites you can find other/better designs now or in the near future.
I will not expect tot see commerical car-holders for FP3 or FP4, but there are models with general holders.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but couldn’t you just use a generic one that has a hole at the bottom so you can plug your phone into your car’s cigarette lighter port? That’s also probably much cheaper and more modular, since you could replace one of the “components” (holder, cable, plug) instead of having to throw the entire device away when it either breaks or you get a new phone.

Well, you are right. It would be possible to use these universal holders.
But my experience is that the phone buttons on the side in many of them are not usable, the phone is not secure holding in it and the cable to the lighter port are not so useful. I have a micro plug from a 5V power supply right near to the holder and nearly not sightable. When I get into the car plug the phone in and by recognizing external power, an app connects the phone the car speakerphone.
In each of our cars, there is a adapter plate (Richter) and so in each car we may use our phone. If we decide to change a phone I’m looking for one which is supported by a commercial active holder, OS support for at least five years, an removable battery and IP6X certified.
My phone has 2 years OS support left, but the one from my wife is out of software support. So I am looking for a new one for her.
So, after all, I say thank you and will watch how the Fairphone 4 comes up.
But for my wife the successor will be a handheld again.
I’m looking forward for the Fairphone is getting more popular and more stuff around it gets available.

I had some issues finding a car phone that worked due to the weight and size of the FP4. My old holder, a “unisynk air vent holder” did not work, the phone fell out.
I tried several in stores, magnetic and clamping, but it was difficult to find one.

Finally found this one: Universal Mobilhållare för fläktgaller - Billigamobilskydd.se

All the buttons and the USB port are accessible. Works fine so far.

3 Likes

I can recommend the following (passive) holder: Brodit 511307. The Fairphone 4 fits exactly in this holder and the quality is very good (but not cheap). You also need a car-specific mounting plate from Brodit.

Hi,

I want to use my FP4 also in my car, for navigation and Spotify.
For my previous phone, I used a ventilation-clamp-holder style, which was also nice and stable. I do not want one that you have to glue a base-plate in your car.
But the FP4 is too big my old holder. Another holder also did not fit. Another holder that holds in a U-shape also does not work because the phone (with case) is too thick.

Are there any that are suitable, and not-Amazon available in the Netherlands?
I do not want a DIY 3D print model, something available from a shop.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You may also have a look at this topic:

I saw that topic, but it did does not offer a result / suggestion.

I’m more leaning towards asking FP themselves to create one? A FP4 is in many aspects outside the standard phone sizes (length, width and thickness), especially with the official case.

Then you should consider contacting support (as this is a user forum and FP employees only read posts here from time to time).
Apart from that I rather doubt they will - but sure, you never know - FP also sells some accessories…

Why not. It’s worth a try… Please feedback here…

As there are hundreds of options, many of which are no doubt being used, maybe you could be more specific about your exact needs etc.

It would be difficult to make one to your specs but given enough interest someone may come up with an idea.

Currently only you know what you want so it would be difficult to help other than direct you to many on-line resources for you to check each one.

If you want to discuss your wants maybe you can relate to those on the following link and explain why they don’t suit you.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.