A new battery for your Fairphone 1 How-To

:warning: This post contains instructions that can cause severe harm to you. :warning:
Opening and modifying batteries is very dangerous.

The battery is the most dangerous part of any phone. It has in numerous cases been linked to explosions, wounds and property damage. Just search on the internet and you’ll find them.

Fairphone employees have seen with their own eyes the issues involved in the process of manufacturing batteries. The health and safety of the workers involved is very often in jeopardy.

The combination of a complex technical product, very severe consequences if done badly and the very limited amount of suppliers who produce in a responsible way, led Fairphone to the conclusion it was not able to produce batteries.

In the absence of complete documentation and information, and the possibility to visit the factory where these batteries are made, we are unable to approve or support third party batteries.

Fairphone values learning by opening your devices but we want you all to stay safe.

End of obligatory piece of text that is part of all topics in which people talk about putting unofficial batteries in their Fairphones.

If your Fairphone 1 battery is definitively bloated here you can find the intructions to replace original FP1 battery with a Samsung one:

http://www.ppppiero.it/blog/a-new-battery-for-your-fairphone-1-howto/

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Or you could head over here … heed the warning at the beginning, as with every not officially sanctioned battery …

2 Likes

thanks, I saw after I fixed Samsung battery! :slight_smile:
I was wondering if Huawei battery has NTC sensor?

2 Likes

According to the thread linked by @AnotherElk, the Huawei battery as well as some generic batteries to the Huawei are said to have protection against overheating, short circuit or overcharchging.
Yet, from studying that thread, I would conclude, that this is not compatible to Fairphone, as no one has reported comprehensible temperature-readings (no matter what app used).

3 Likes

Some phones have temp sensor in their frame, very close to battery, some others in the battery, we do not know how Huawei batt works. Temperature monitoring it is important in lithium batteries especially at the end of quick charge, if charger doesn’t stop on time battery can overheat and explode.

I measured original battery NTC resistance at different temperatures, to characterize it; then I get a sensor that should work as close as possible to original one, I will post measurements.

4 Likes

Fairphone 1 doesn’t have quick charge, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

3 Likes

this could explain why also batteries without thermistor work well. Reading around in the forum I found this:

So thermistor seems to be a “safety device” but it’s not directly involved in charge process.

2 Likes

So would this be the best option?

I got my phone a little under 3 years ago, and did so under the impression that it would be longer lasting, but the battery only holds charge for a few hours. I really do not want to have to replace the whole thing.

Many thanks, for your help!

Yes, that generic battery thing works for me just fine.
You find a list of available batteries (on Amazon, I have to admit) in this post:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/gb-de-generic-battery-to-replace-fp1-battery-shorter-1-800mah/30590/72?source_topic_id=31989