FP2 reboots in certain wifi networks

where can I find this ?

I tried @paule suggestion but that did not help there are another 3 crashreports so 10
in total now

1 Like

Sorry to here.

If you install everything as usual and leave the WiFi switched of, any reboots?

2 Likes

I am now testing with my sim card and with wifi (i can choose between normal wifi and 5g wifi I connected my phone with the 5G, I do not really understand how this works but I thought that maybe 5G wifi is more stabile) I did not install any third party app yet.

If I have reboots I will switch of the wifi.

1 Like

Can anyone explain in short how the connection with wifi is made. And could my reboots be caused by this connection. Is there a part in my phone what makes the wifi connection (like an antenne) and could that cause the reboots ?

haha, I hope anyone understands my question …:roll_eyes:

Airport problem long original topic.

Could be, but not easy to investigate.

Also using 2,4GHz or 5GHz band can cause such troubles. Hence my advice to possibly disable wifi and only use mobile data.

@yvonnee

Usual Wifi is using the 2,4GHz frequency band (same as bluetooth btw.) while
5G ->5GHz frequency band is becoming more common. It is a bit quicker and younger but not yet so common hence not as crowded as the basic 2,4GHz band.
Also there were interferences in very rare cases (I had one too) where the bluetooth signal interfered with the 2,4GHz wifi signal. So disabling BT is another hint btw. just to see.

Good if you router offers 5GHz, interferences (also with neighbors) should be less and performance better if your signal reception is good.

Afaik network problems generally should not cause reboots. Devices should operate reliable whether they have network access or not. Even if updates are downloaded the installation process just starts after the entire data was successfully received. The download just takes longer when signal reception is weak or interrupted. But there are users who experience more reboots when using a specific wifi connection. To find the cause is not an easy task as no clear relation between both of these can be identified.

Usually wifi is established by registering a specific device by a default name which most often is the individual devices mac address (should only exist once in the world fixed in silicone…). The router should reveal its network name (on the first registration, for reconnect it possibly may be hidden). You may go through all steps manually like scanning and accepting the new device via mac address. Now also go through the registration process on your device by selecting your wifi network and entering your networks security key. If all was done properly the registration process should finish and the connection establish.

There are more automated ways though like using the wps feature/hardware button on your router if available. Within a specific time slot the router scans for new devices taking over new network specific data. You would then only have to recheck and accept to take over and enable the connection. Also scanning a QR code offered within your routers configuration masc helps you to easily share registration setup data with new devices (if supported of course).
It´s not very detailed, but a rough overview. With a bit of practice that´s no problem for anyone to do it.
There may be an antenna for the wifi reception, but in case if it’s somehow damaged reception should be very poor or not available at all.

3 Likes

Basically, what @Patrick1 said (it is hard to debug that problem) but I was wondering if someone who knows more about the Airport issue could chime in and have a look.

Anyway, there are other more likely causes.

I skimmed through the thread and couldn’t find an answer to whether you tried a piece of paper on your battery – have you? That solved practically all reboot issues I had.

2 Likes

I did this yesterday for a couple of hours and no reboots

1 Like

Do you get any reboots if you connect to another WiFi?

3 Likes

Yes, I tried that before sending it to the headquarter, unfortunately that was not the reason

Since yesterday evening I connected my phone to my 5 GHz wifi, I also put the sim card in but I did not instal third party apps.
There were no reboots last night :grinning:

this morning I installed whatsapp and went to work where I have no wifi, After work I returned home and the wifi is on since then and still no reboots :smiley:

The difference is that I am now connected to the 5 GHz wifi, I do not see how this can solve the problem but I am happy if it does.
But I will see how it goes…

5 Likes

I do not remember but I believe not. But I will try that tomorow

2 Likes

@Patrick1 Thank you for your help and the expanation :smile:

2 Likes

Can you ask the owner of that WiFi what kind of AP they use for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

1 Like

Yes I can but first I would like to know what an AP is ?

1 Like

I used the wifi at my work today and I had no reboots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Access Point, the device your FP2 connects to, wirelessly.

At this point it will benefit you if learn the difference between 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz.

In summary:

2,4 GHz is rather crowded (more chance for interference), a bit longer range than 5 GHz, allowed outdoor and indoor, slower than 5 GHz.

5 GHz is not very crowded (less chance for interference), a bit shorter range than 2.4 GHz, allowed indoor only, faster than 2.4 GHz.

Both have their + and -. All devices with WiFi can do 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz not. So you see 2.4 GHz is the default with APs if it can only do one. Many devices these days can do both though.

Now, if you use NS trains or stations, they only provide 2.4 GHz. So if you never use the 2.4 GHz you may miss out on those. I’m curious if your phone would crash if you’d use 2.4 GHz WiFi there or if it is ONLY at work where your phone crashes?

2 Likes

This looks very promising.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation !

The strange thing is that i believe that it only rebooted at home, and that the reboots stopped since i use the 5g wifi.

So it is kind of mysterious.
I think the the wifi at my work is also 2.4Ghz. And my phone did not reboot.
I will travel with ns tomorrow …

2 Likes

Right, now we’re getting somewhere. What kind of AP do you have at home?

3 Likes