FP2 reboots in certain wifi networks

For me putting a piece of paper (two actually to get the right thickness) below the battery to push it tighter against the electrical contacts reduced the amount of random reboots a lot.

4 Likes

I aggred with this solution too. Fairphone support give me a little shim to avoid this issue but it was not enough tight (still reboots), so I cut a little plastic of an old sim card.

If fairphone designer would stop this issue for good they need to really tight dimensions on batterie case or put a cable for a connection (no spring with 1 touch contact).

It would take a spring at the bottom-side of the battery (where you have to put the paper), pushing it against the contacts. That’s the way it is working with every other battery compartment for AAA, AA, … D cells. Four tiny spring-contacts pushing the battery (especially just on one corner) can - obviously - be troublesome. Even more so, when the battery is a rather large (dimesion-wise) one and the battery compartment not exactly a tight fit.

1 Like

sorry for not replying earlier.

but just now I opened my phone and decided to check all the little screws from all the different modules, I could tighten some of them a little bit. And although my fp does survive the loose batterij test, I did put a piece of an old simcard in between the battery and the compartment.

to be continued…

Hmmm I hour past and 1 reboot happened :sob:
and another reboot has happened, I think I can not solve this

Hi,

Really sorry to read that… Just a though, have you explore a software issue? Maybe one of your apps is causing these reboots? Some of them are draining battery (see the discussion here).

Do you think it is possible?

1 Like

Is your battery moves a little in the case? If is the case you has to put a better shim. The battery has to be really tight.

1 Like

I had reset my phone to factory reset without any other apps (only my googe account) it still reboots so I do not think that that is the issue

I did try that but that also did not end the reboots

My phone will be sent to hq I hope they can solve this

I will keep you updated

1 Like

Hi again… Having tried everything I have to say : sometimes there’s nothing you can do… It’s pretty disappointing.

And of course pushing battery with a piece of paper shouldn’t be a solution… You kind of expect that the battery fits your phone!

2 Likes

Hi

After two months of testing, shims doesn’t work is even worse. When i put my phone in the car, sometimes the car vibrates too much because I’m too lowest shift.With the vibration, the phone reboots. So now I removed all the shims. The company need to find a better solution than shims or replace the component.
I think if they would like to solve this issue forever, they need to redesign the phone. So not a solution for this year.

1 Like

A quick update: my phone is at headquarters since August 6 and they are testing it.

Well my fairphone 2 has been tested at the headquarters and returned to me yesterday.
they could not reproduce a reboot not in real usage or in automatic stress testing. Pff so i ansewered that i was happy that they did not had any reboots bus asked what they thought could be the reason.

The Answer was that they already replaced my phone twice (which is true and i was really happy about that) but that they did not experienced any reboot with this phone. The only possibility they could think of was a problem with my sd card or sim card. But they also reminded me that i
said that i had already tried that and that i stil experienced reboots.

But i had my hopes up. And installed my phone as before, WiFi, Google account , apps, But no sim card . My phone rebooted 3 times last night :disappointed_relieved: So i did a Factory reset this morning and i installed absolutely nothing (no WiFi no sim no apps etc) i experienced no reboots. Tonight i only installed WiFi and i experienced 1 reboot sofar.
Can it be the WiFi ??

Sorry, I did not read the complete topic. There is just one thing which came to my mind: does this also happen without the case? Can you take off the backcover and the black frame? Maybe it’s just a stuck button which causes the reboot.

3 Likes

I can try that but i do not think that is the reason of the reboots since it did not happen while testing it on the headquarter.

1 Like

So there is your final solution -

Don’t use the phone at all…got it? :grin:

No, no - I am just kidding.

I am most sure Fairphone had your phone in the most possible stock way (without sd card, sim card(s), clean - no 3rd party apps etc.)
They say there were no reboots experienced.

Now you got it back and turned it exactly into what you have had before sending it to Fairphone, and the reboots occur again…strange isn’t it?

Do you believe it could be the cause of your individual setup?
At least that is what comes to my mind, it’s simply too obvious.
You have to tackle this step by step.

Try @Paule’s idea, this is most simple to be done. At last very carefully reassemble the case again assuring all parts are fitting fine specifically all buttons. I have a slim case and there are no issues at all. Generally they do fit for trouble less operation (neglecting the audio jack position).

A radical test without any network, sim card, further apps was positive already.
Are you sure your wifi is not compromised?
Next keep off your wifi but activate you mobile network by any sim card available (still no further apps installed?)
See if there are any reboots.

At last carefully reinstall apps over Wifi, but not all in one go, rather one after another. Disable all networking again and see how reliable the phone performs. Also do a reboot once in a while after having installed/updated some apps, as not all installing is fully clear while runtime. Although this is not Windows it’s still of use to reboot once in a while specifically after having changed parts of the installation. Some changes can only be fully finished after a power cycle. But the majority of smartphone/mobile users are in believe the device is meant to stay powered on permanently without any need of reboot. This is no server, yet and even they are rebooted after major changes to the system.
Unexpected reboots may also occur if there were changes made to the installation (which implies manual or automated updates) but the phone kept operative for long time without having the opportunity to reorganize certain things as done while the boot up process.

Keep an eye on the crash reports counter of Fairphones “Hiccup” tool at settings->maintenance->hiccup->scroll all down->statistic

If your phone reboots unexpected although there is no network available it looks like an app is the culprit. Hopefully you can recall after which of the installed troubles has started.
Otherwise you may need some software tools for further investigation.
Also let the phone cool off (unused) if necessary, some background tasks may cause more heat but have to finish after all.

If you managed to find and remove the cause enabling any network should not worsen the operation.

Unexpected reboots are always tricky to investigate and solve,
I would say quite many topics in this forum are related to such.

At least feel lucky that you have this active, competent and willing to help community.

2 Likes

Hmm, could it be that AirPort problem @StevenHachel had as well? Remember that you cannot completely put off WiFi on Android.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help Patrick1

I was thinking that too, but decided against it :grinning:

No, but I have no idea how I would notice that ?

My phone rebooted 7 times (7 crashreports at the crashreport counter of fairphones hiccup) since I connected it to my wifi about 16 hours ago. It was laying on the table while I was away all day. I did not install any apps or put in a sim card or sd card.

So: first I will try @Paule idea

after that I will turn of wifi and put in my sim card and I will not install any apps, and see what happens

I think that after that I will know whether it has something to do with the wifi ?

2 Likes

where can I find this ?