3rd-party OS on Fairphone 4 - manual interpretation and bootloader

Hello All,

Regarding the explanation at: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/10492476238865
It states: "If you installed a 3rd-party OS, locking your bootloader might prevent your device from booting correctly. "

and

“To protect your data in case of theft or loss of your Fairphone, we advise you to keep the bootloader of your Fairphone locked.”.

So, should I lock my FP4 or not?

• Additional information.

I’ve religiously followed the sequence of instructions presented at Install LineageOS on FP4 | LineageOS Wiki . Later and redirected to my first shared link, I’ve continued to follow the instructions, like unlocking the OEM bootloader (step 2) and later “Optional: Lock your bootloader”. When I restarted, I was trapped in the bootloader and only got to escape by running again the step 2 procedure.

Now…

"If you installed a 3rd-party OS, locking your bootloader might prevent your device from booting correctly. "
Yes, I am a witness!

“To protect your data in case of theft or loss of your Fairphone, we advise you to keep the bootloader of your Fairphone locked.”.
Damn! What can I do?

*** WHY MY POST GOT LOCKED SOON AFTER AND I CAN’T REPLY ? ***

Hi 2hz3e

as far as I can rememebr the first statment is a recommendation in case you install a 3rd party OS. Locking the bootloader after installing a 3rd party OS may cause havoc.

The advice about keeping the bootloader locked is only pointing at the original FP OS.

Hope this helps

Best
DonFnord

Not completely correct…

You can brick your phone as well with locking the bootloader after installing FPOS

@2hz3e
Please have look at this topic and follow-up over there if needed. Important is get unlock ability

And important from your link is this

If you install an OS with an older security patch level than your previous OS, Android’s roll-back protection might brick your device when locking the bootloader! Wait until you get a software update with the same or newer security patch level before locking the bootloader.

4 Likes

Because we try to avoid duplicates and we already have more than 1 topic for this and I linked you one above to follow-up in case of further questions.

And now that you added the info that you probably have installed Lineage: you cant lock your Bootloader, and you can follow-up here

4 Likes