Wishlist for the FP2

I recommend reading the latest blog on the development of the next Fairphone (Blog). There are several things in it that make me guess the next Fairphone will be as expensive as current or more expensive:

For the new phone, we want to move towards even greater transparency in
the supply chain to better enable us to extend our social and
environmental impact. In this way, designing the phone ourselves allows
us to create more visibility in our own supply chain.

I applaud that approch, but it will come at a cost: Developing a smartphone is not cheap. And keep in mind the current Fairphone was an upgrade model of a model produced in much larger volume for the chinese market. The next Fairphone will be more unique in design and hardware and that means probably a more complicated production.

We believe that our new phone should have 4G LTE to be a long-lasting
device, so this yearā€™s phone will have these frequency bands.

I guess they want keep dual sim. It seems important for second markets and additionally, it is clear from our wishlist that LTE and dual sim are important for us. LTE chipsets alone are more expensive, now weight in dual sim and you do not have a wide selection of chipsets available. It might be possible to get a chipset roughly as expensive as the one for FP1 was. Certainly not cheaper I believe.

In our product design and engineering, we will put longevity at the
center of our work.[ā€¦] One of the choices that follows
from this thinking is that we are making a higher-end product. Doing so
allows a product to last longer and remain competitive in a fast-moving
sector. A high-quality product, which uses high-quality key components
will last longer because in principle, these components and platforms
will be supported for a longer time.

Reading the complaints in this forum and the whishlist, there is good reason for this thinking. So many of us are angry about the bad platform support by mediatek for our chipset. A lot of you have argued that this would not have happened with a higher quality/more expensive chipset. I personally do not see an alternative to that. Also even with a volume of 100.000 devices per year, this is not exactly a high volume product by industrie standards. A higher quality/ higher price device makes the project more attractive for the manufacturers actually building the FP2.

Weight in all the wishes about are more open source friendly approach. This has to be managed, controlled and executed. It does not come for free. For example support additional OSes like Firefox OS or Ubuntu OS or Sailfish OS will required resources that have to be paid for.

And finally, read the wishlist here and think about how to possibly keep the price point of the FP1. I donā€™t see that. But keep in mind, that is just me guessing!

Finally, in my opinion, with FP1 many of us bought a phone before we even knew the company could deliver. Not all worked out 100% but i think we and Fairphone learned a lot in that process. I have more confidence in the project now compared to may 2013 when i bought my FP1. I certainly would be willing to pay more (if Fairphone delivers on at least some of the crucial items from that wishlist) knowing it makes an impact. A higher quality phone will also keep second market prices more resonable up. Now, i am not speaking of iPhone prices here (insane 900ā‚¬ depending on configuration) but well above the 340ā‚¬ or so i paid for the FP1

1 Like

I think that my main concern is the camera quality. I would love to have a better camera, not more pixels because the size of the photos at max resolution is already significant, but actual better-looking photos. I am no professional but I am often disappointed by the quality of the photos I take, depending on the conditions. The other thing is that it really struggles focusing if there isnā€™t heaps of light.
Iā€™d love to have a phone that doesnā€™t make me consider getting a compact digital camera on the side! And I assume most people would too:)

Another concern, which is linked to the environmental concern that Fairphone give a lot of importance to, is battery life. Fairphone should push towards (1) more energy efficiency and (2) more battery capacity and durability. This is a massive challenge for the smartphone industry at the moment: I do not know of many smartphones that can last for more than a day. My previous phone (a Nokia C3) obviously did not have half the features of a smartphone, but I could keep it alive for a whole week without recharging (!). That should be what we strive for in the future: less electricity consumption and less dependance on a charger + power outlet.

1 Like

What about NFC ? :smiley:

I read a lot that many in this forum donā€™t mind weather the FP2 has some nice hardware upgrades or not.
I really do think that ā€œfairnessā€ is the number one priority for the FP, but Iā€™ve got the feeling, that many donā€™t relate better specs with longevity strong enough. Fairphones technology isnā€™t that bleeding edge, that it would mean much higher costs to upgrade hardware, neither should newer technology be a general threat to fair production.
In terms of energy and resource efficiency, as well as longevity modern chip sets usually beat older ones.

If you think about Ubuntu support and have a lot at highend phone specs these days, you could even consider replacing notebooks or even PCs with your phone. Have a lot at Ubuntus approach on convergence.

If you see any big flaws in my statement please tell me about it :slight_smile:

Nothing known about NFC yet (Personally I donā€™t see many use cases right now / I find it more usefully in credit cards: To clarify: I favor keeping uses apart. I donā€™t want to transfer money with my phone).

I would like it though, if I could replace my PC with my phone. :slight_smile:

I think NFC will be a big thing. But we donā€™t have to discuss this here :smile:

Have you heard about the crazy sales of the ā€œfirst Ubuntu phoneā€?
Itā€™s specifications are pretty similar to the FP, though it costs half as much and isnā€™t ā€œfairā€.
http://www.bq.com/gb/ubuntu.html

btw: Also a MediaTek CPU, but a tiny bit stronger :wink:

Of course I have heard of it. :wink:

See

And

1 Like

Hi,

BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) support would be great.
Yorck

2 Likes

@Stefan:
I see quite a number of replies from you, stating that you donā€™t use much functionality of your phone. IIRC you said do be happy if you can actually make phone calls and use the calender.
Of course youā€™re completely free to use any device you own the way you want to, but I really hope youā€™ll understand that most people will buy a smartphone to use it as a smartphone. After all making phone calls and using (an easy to sync calendar) are functionalities my old dumbphone had for over 10 years. If I understand you correctly you would have been very happy with my 10 years old dumbphoneā€¦
Anyway: my message is that your repeated statements about the limited use you make of your phone are not very useful, and especially from a ā€˜community managerā€™ I really do expect an other view on the matter at hand.

Your list already includes most of what I would have said. I particularly agree with size (too large is not better; I would say max 5"), features to keep (dual sim, replacable battery, micro sd) and improvements (sensors, fixed button labels).

To the latter I would like add and especially point out an improved touchscreen. The fairphones touchscreen seems very inaccurate compared to other phones (old and new) which I have used so far.

And ā€“ IMHO the greatest flaw in FP1 ā€“ getting proper open source drivers would greatly improve longevity of the phone.

Thanks for compiling the nice list!

2 Likes

One Thing to keep/improve:
Notification LED, please with all colors supported.
FP1 LED Notification is also able to display all colors, but itā€™s not (yet hopefully) supported by the software
(check: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58633071&postcount=745)

1 Like

I had a motorola defy before, and I really liked it for being waterproof. Iā€™d love a waterproof fairphone.

3 Likes

Battery: Itā€™s great to have an replaceable one, but it would be even better if it was a standard model available everywhere. I donā€™t mean AA cells of course, but there must be standard battery types for this. One I can get at the nearest consumer electronics store.

Or at least, try to use the exact same type as with the FP1.

Except, of course, the battery is fair, too. Is it?

Screen cover: That dragontail glass is fantastic, please use it again. I often rubbed it clean with any piece of cloth I had handy, though microfibre is recommended, and carried it in the same pocket with my keys. And it looks brand new! :smiley:

Is it possible to have that glass with anti-reflective surface?

2 Likes

Hi everybody,

thanks, Ben, for this excellent wishlist, I completely agree with your topics and priorities!

Keeping device size (4,5 " max.) and Dual SIM will be essential features for me, because Iā€™ll be using my Fairphone for both personal and professional purposes!.

I have to return my FP I to my former employer and I wouldnā€™t appreciate having to run around carrying TWO smartphones - or having to buy a set of new clothes and jackets with ā€œextra-largeā€ pockets to fit in 5" phones - if people ā€œmustā€ have tablets, they should buy tablets, but I need a PHONE! :wink:

And I do hope that the Fairphone team will keep the OS ā€œslimā€ - I recently tested a Samsung S4 and was SO annoyed by lots of apps, layers etc. I did neither want nor needā€¦;o)

2 Likes

Hi!
I also agree with most points but in addition I think wireless charging would be really great.
Especially as by now the Qi standard seems to be very widely accepted in the industry.
Cheers,
Christian

Interesting idea! I see an upside and a downside:

Pro: the USB socket wouldnā€™t be worn out that much.
Contra: You need another device (probably more high-tech than a usb cable), which can break and produce waste.

Also contra: you spill 30 - 40% of your energy, when recharging wirelessā€¦

Sure, the efficiency of wireless charging is not as good as over the cable, thatā€™s right.
But I still think that it is a good option to have as more and more charging stations get available (e.g. at cafĆ©s, in IKEA furnitureā€¦) and as far as I know the additional hardware in the phone that is needed has only very small impact on packaging and the price.
So it would be great to hear what the design team thinks of this idea :wink:

I want to add my vote for wireless charging for the FP2. I just watched this video on how you can integrate a wireless charger into a desk so that it isnā€™t seen. Very neat. (http://lifehacker.com/integrate-a-wireless-charger-into-your-nightstand-478949465)

some news on the new hw: see http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Das-zweite-Fairphone-Bessere-Hardware-teurer-ab-Ende-Sommer-vorbestellbar-2570757.html (in german)

• Qualcomm chipset, Android 5, LTE, HiRes display
  • finger print sensor, heart beat sensor, bented display
3 Likes

Thank you @marvin24!
Iā€™m adding this to Fairleaks.