Software update Kola Nut 1.8.7 is ready - Stagefright fix

A post was split to a new topic: Contacts missing 2 days after update

Dear Fairphone Team,

Everything went perfectly. Thank you very much! :kissing_heart:

Best,
Melly

2 Likes

I think in my case the update worked even with a black screen inbetween.
I did not activate the “stay awake” option and the phone was not connected to the charger all the time …
But update worked completely fine!

Yes that stay awake trick is not necessary for everybody and of course the screen will be black a few seconds during reboot.
But sometimes the screen will go to sleep before or after the reeboot and the thing will go wrong.

I am a real clever phone novice. When I look at right page to install Google apps I do not even get this:
Scroll right ad find Menu Button… I scroll right and do not have a menu button. what does it look like?
What is a menu app and where can I find all these updaters?

Are you talking about step 3 in the interactive tutorial?
If you don’t have that widget with the menu button you can also get there by performing an edge swipe.

I have tried to install 1.8.7 about 8 times now. It doesnt work… I kept my screen active, i deleted all the cache yet nothing. It downloads everything but when i click the ‘restart’ button it shuts down, and then i get the android figure saying: ‘no command’.
So am lost…
Hope u can help me :slight_smile:

oh., so i restarted the phone and it works normally but with 1.8.5…

Try again and when you get to the no command screen follow this guide:

Yep… this did the trick. Thnx! Now reinstalling Google apps

1 Like

This update has been running smoothly on my FP1.
Thanks guys

Also for me, updated to 1.8.7 without any problems!

1 Like

How many downloads were made for how many fairphone? Reason: I wonder if this update is causing less problems in the forum because it is better or if some people - like me - didn’t update yet?
Was any analysis about that already made?

(Honestly, I take the risk of become a stagefright as long as the update may spoil my phone again like the last time.
MMS download, etc. is already deactivated and a firewall and a virus scanner are installed since a long time.)

A big thanks for this very valuable advice of “cache clearance”. I have been having problems for weeks now, and had not found anything and had no success even after reducing my numbers of extra Apps down to 5 and clearing their caches.

I had hoped downloading the 1.8.7 Kola Nut update would help but it didn’t. Infact I was seriously considering going back to my Apple iPhone, which I NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH (except how it is manufactured, supply chain sustainability etc.)

After following these instructions, for the first time in about 3 months I have a fully functioning Fairphone again.

2 Likes

@THRS_Hamburg great to hear you found a solution for your problems. Next time please don’t wait 3 months before you look for help here in the forum or by Support. :smile:

2 Likes

I updated my fairphone to Kola Nut 1.8.7 yesterday evening but I couldn’t install the google apps (error message after downloading). TODAY nothing works, the whole phone is going crazy - things open and close automatically and I cannot do any thing on the phone (not even reading a message)! I had also problems with the last update… I’m sorry but this is quite annoying!! I guess that I have to reboot the phone…? I switched it on and off for some times now but nothing changes…

one additonal information: it also doesn’t let me enter my pin for my sim card at the beginning (it cancels the entering of the pin) and the touchscreen only works sometimes…

After updating my Android keyboard (AOSP) has stopped working. Help!!!

@Lilli Did you already reinstall google apps via the Fairphone updater after applying the fairphone OS update? For most users reporting a broken keyboard this solves the problem.

1 Like

@Lilli This is a common issue. You can find topics about this problem by using the search feature of the forum (the little magnifying glass above).

@sje First of all: Do the touchscreen test to rule out, that your hardware is broken. If it is not, install Fairphone OS Kola Nut 1.8.7 again.

Hi, thanks, Stefan! Yesterday in the evening it magically worked again without me doing anything… So I installed google apps and it is fine for now. However, I’m a bit afraid that the same could happen with it again in the next months (I’ll go to Africa and I’ll have to rely on my phone there!). Well, I guess that I have to wait and see… But thanks again!

1 Like