Replace FP1 / FP1U headphone jack

Hi,

my headphone Jack recently broke and I wanted to replace it because I use my headphones very frequently. According to the replacement shop the only thing I could do would be buying a new motherboard at ~120€. I checked upon ebay and found out, that many manufacturers that don’t advertise themselves as “sustainable” had easy parts to “clip” in a new module with the headphone jack (and one or two other cheap parts). Most of those modules come at 6-15€ which I find very reasonable. However I bought an other headphone jack for another phone which looked fitting for my purpose and soldered the damn thing as a replacement. It works fine and without any flaws but I would consider myself pretty skilled with soldering. I don’t think the average customer could do so and this is why I find it inacceptable that a part that can break pretty easy requires the customer to replace it for 120€, while other manufacturers have no problem putting it in a cheap module. The other thing is, that with a motherboard replacement, I’d have to backup the whole thing and reinstall everything.

For a product that advertises itself as sustainable I would have expected this to be a lot easier.

Best wishes.

1 Like

I agree it’s a pain. As for the USB connector. As this is quite a specific thing which could b better, please consider to add this to the whishlist. (Even though general repairability was already on the list, I added the cell buffer battery, because it’s quite specific and a part of the phone which is bound to fail at some point.)

I changed the category of this topic from Repair to Roadmap because the topic does not discuss a process of repairing the phone, but the design of the phone.

Maybe consider adding some identifying information on this particular connector?
This way, you’ll help others searching for a suitable replacement.

1 Like

Sure thing. I bought this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/131365292450?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it fits as for the size more or less (had to sand off the little plastic pins on the side) and the contacts are pretty much at the right spot, although they are bent to the wrong side of the jack. As for fixing it in position I used 4 tiny points of hot glue - be very careful with that because you dont want to get any of this on the connectors for cables.

3 Likes

For future transparency, in case the eBay link ceases working: @Chris_M used a replacement intended for Sony Xperia L (C2104 C2105).

2 Likes

Thank you @Chris_M and @humorkritik!
I changed the category back to repair because I think that now it can help.others to.repair their phones.