New fairbuds in-ears - firmware update bricks the buds ?!

Thanks, and did you charge the earbuds after unpacking them (after removing the white piece of paper between the earbuds and charging case)?

1 Like

If anyone received their Fairbuds today and did actually manage to successfully update their Fairbuds, that would be good to know for us as well. But please, don’t see this as an invitation to do so, we are going to temporarily remove the Firmware update feature from the app asap until we understand the cause of this issue.

12 Likes

Received my order (#FP99504465) three hours ago. Updated my Fairbuds using the iOS app as instructed and immediately afterwards ended up with what now appear to be completely unresponsive and therefore dysfunctional buds. Two hours of tinkering turned into frustration without any changes or result. Unfortunate.

Will contact CS tomorrow, hoping for a solution!

FYI: @BobVI Also tried your steps without any results.

Some Problem. I did not charge, but the case showed green light.
Updated with android on fairphone 5. Already called the support, but the fairbud are bricked now

I have removed the batteries and put them back. Nothing. They won’t power up and I hear no jingle.

Rik (kan het ook in het Nederlands?).

1 Like

Hi Rik,

Ja, het kan ook in het Nederlands! Ik zou jou nu ook graag willen aanraden contact op te nemen met onze Customer Service afdeling. Ze zijn nu volledig op de hoogte van dit probleem, en zullen je ook graag helpen om je Fairbuds zo snel mogelijk weer om te ruilen voor een werkend paar. (Dat geldt natuurlijk ook voor jou @MarcHidde)

1 Like

Update: we’ve identified the root cause of the issue. We expect to fix it within a few days, in the meantime the app will be temporarily removed from the Play Store and App Store. For all users that already installed the latest version of the app, we recommend not trying to perform the update, as it risks the earbuds from entering this unresponsive state.

For all users that are already affected: please reach out to CS, they will help you get a working pair of Fairbuds to enjoy asap!

20 Likes

So just for curiosity’s sake, what’s the issue? Since it’s surprising you haven’t seen it while testing it yourself, any way to recover from it, or flash firmware at home?

2 Likes

As said contact support they will help those effected. To flash something you need access to the buds via USB which is only available in the case and the buds are dead.

Curious to what the issue was too, I love digging into & understanding technical stuff to satisfy curiosity.

2 Likes

Sure, I was mostly curious about the technical aspects of the issue, why it happened, etc

3 Likes

Dear Fairphone,

thank you for this update. I am wondering: for the future, would it be possible to have a subsection on your website with latest news related? I mean I was also wondering this morning when I wanted to install the android app to a different phone of mine why the application disappeared, but of course this entry answered my questions, yet I would welcome a subsection with latest news or a blog section.

Thank you and keep up the great work!

8 Likes

Unfortunately, this issue can only be resolved with access to some production/developer tools. The issue was not detectable on our side, because the firmware that we released was missing certain permissions/“signatures” that caused incompatibility issues with some Fairbuds based on their unique Bluetooth MAC address. And all the units we have in the office did all fell under the “approved” Bluetooth MAC addresses.

Good thing, it’s an easy fix and we got a new version of the firmware already. We are now waiting for it to be included in the app and get it all approved again by Google and Apple before we publish.

@norbert79 I think it’s a good idea, for that I’ll tag our Forum Manager @Juan.Bianchi here for visibility.

14 Likes

Niet om vervelend te doen Bob, maar wel balen dat de CS nou net precies vandaag, in de week van de lancering van een nieuw product, niet bereikbaar is per telefoon. Dan maar een formulier invullen!

Any chance these tools could be opened to the community in the future? Either for tinkering or to make sure people can restore their buds in case of something like this?

8 Likes

May it be an Idea for the future to use the trusted community/Angels to ask for beta tests?
The vantage may be the trusted community/Angels are distributed over many countries and porbably using a variety of devices which can help find some last flaws?

3 Likes

looks like the app is available on the play store again

1 Like

Then they got the google approval for the updated app. Thats good and probaly a sign for the new firmware @BobVI mentioned in this thread.

1 Like

well it doesn’t look the app comes with any update functionality (yet), my guess is that they’ve released a version without the updater so people can use the equalizer without bricking their buds, i had hoped to see in-app noise canceling options as well but lets hope those come down the line.

4 Likes

Dear Community/Fairphone,

so today I started the Fairbuds application which was already installed and it gave me the option to update to firmware V56. Now I didn’t update yet, my question is: is this the faulty version, which I should avoid or is this a newer one?

P.S.: Never mind, an update arrived and disabled firmware update. I also accidentally touched the update (pinky finger slipped, unbelievable), but I see you guys disabled the download of firmware too, which was a great choice so the earbuds work still. Anyway, waiting for firmware update.

4 Likes