🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Mobile network keeps disconnecting

so, after some days off I tried to solve the problem by following your recommendations.
But, I’m afraid the solution installing the storage upgrade on 1.6 cherry won’t work for me, as I’m using the FP1U. Am I right?
I wiped the entire phone and reinstalled it, using 1.6 cherry, but still the mobile network keeps disconnecting…

Installing the unified storage upgrade should only not work if your storage is allready unified. You can check it by going to Settings > Storage and check if you only have internal storage (and sd card if you have one) or also a phone storage.

I think all Fairphones of the second batch (=FP1U) indeed were shipped with a unified storage partition. [Source]

1 Like

In addition to what @paulakreuzer says, the partitioning it’s not specific to the model you use (FP1/FP1U). But as @Stefan says, I also think the FP1U came with the unified partition.

You can also check the Fairphone Updater app. If you tap Fairphone OS (when running 1.6) and see the Unified Storage update, you can apply it. If it’s not there, you already have the ‘unified’ partition workaround up and running.

However, I gather that your problems were there after wiping, i.e. before you restored your backup? Hm. :sigh:
We can continue blind guesses, of course.

[For some reason I first got confused and posted stuff considering WiFi. I deleted that gibberish. Thanks, @Stefan Stefan, for nudging me per PM.]

So, after I lost my patience and wiped the phone again, without restoring anything. I reinstalled the most important apps and data. It worked for 3-4 days. But then, the issues reappeared. Suprinsingly, an additional phenomena occured: sometimes, when the network connection broke and reconnects after some minutes, only the “roaming” connection is available (automatically the R appears, and when using the phone for calls or messages a warning pops up, saying that I need to approve to use the phone in roaming mode) - that is really puzzling! I did not leave Germany after the reinstallation, nor did I even come close to any international boarder…

I really loose the motivation to try to solve the problem… this is so demotivating.

Did you see this post yet:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/de-falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015-wiki/5468?u=paulakreuzer&source_topic_id=5440

2 Likes

Hi Sarah_HH and everyone else,

I have exactly the same problem as Sarah and I am in an Austrian network. I have an iphone for work purposes which is why I have been lazy to resolve this problem. Since I am now finally updating to unified storage as I am a first user, I am also browsing the forum for this issue. Very often my Fairphone looses all connection which also includes phone calls. Often I make a call and there is an interruption after 5 seconds. Also the internet connection is very unstable independent of time and place, it really varies (and it is always in places where my other phone and all other people seem to have normal connection). As Sarah I am already a bit demotivated by this issue. But maybe there is a solution and it would be nice for Fairphone to provide some hints as this problem does not seem to be very widespread but concerns some people quite seriously. Many thanks!

Which Austrian network are you in?
I am in A1 and sometimes data connection fails and it takes some 10 seconds until I am able to use internet again. I don’t see a pattern (maybe some port conflict…?).

As this issue appears to be affecting maily german speaking customers, I will continue writing in german to be more concise:

Ich habe heute wieder fast ausschließlich keine Netzverbindung. Es haben sich allerdings folgende Erkenntnisse ergeben:
Wenn ich - bei offenbar bestehender Verbindung zum Netz in Form von E oder G, kein H oder H+ neben dem Verbindungsbalken - versuche einen Anruf zu tätigen, dann “flackert” der Bildschirm immer wieder auf für eine halbe Sekunde. Es ist nicht möglich, währenddessen aufzulegen oder das Telefon anderweitig anzusprechen, bis der Versuch nach ca. 1 min automatisch abgebrochen wird.
Wenn man versucht, die Netzwerkverbindung manuell herzustellen, dann kommt die (sinngemäße) Meldung, dass derzeit kein Netzwerkzugriff möglich ist (also auch nicht zu alternativen Netzwerken, ich bekomme keine Liste angezeigt, wie sonst üblich).

Ich habe, wie geschrieben, das Telefon vollständig neu installiert, alle notwendigen Apps (plus zwei Spiele, ich gestehe) installiert. Es scheint mir, als ob das Problem von Tag zu Tag schlimmer wird - nach er Neuinstallation hatte ich sogar gefühlt einige Tage gar keine Probleme mit der Netzwerkverbindung, heute, wie gesagt, geht eigentlich nichts…

Kann es sein, dass erst durch die Installation einer App die Probleme auftreten?

Hi!

I have pretty much the same problem, which I’ve described in this thread: Sim card deactivates itself

I contacted support and did a hard reset as they suggested. I actually downgraded my operating system since the problems begun with the latest update. At first I didn’t install google services at all, to test if the problem is connected to that somehow, but since the phone was working fine, I installed it later and, one by one also installed my favorite apps.

The phone has been working fine for a couple of months, but now the problem is popping up again. I don’t think I have installed any new apps in a while, so I have no idea what’s causing the problem. The mobile network icon on the upper right corner seems fine and the only thing telling me I’m disconnected are friends and colleagues telling me their calls are going directly to voice mail, so I have to restart my phone several times a day just to be sure. Even switching to flight mode and back doesn’t always help.

I wouldn’t like to hard reset my phone regularly, so I’m hoping somebody finds a solution :slight_smile:

Nein, ich habe gezielt keine Apps installiert für ein paar Tage, und trotzdem treten die Probleme auf.

Es ist zwar jetzt eine ganze Weile her, aber das Problem ist nicht gelöst. Ich bin, gelinde gesagt, tierisch genervt, denn effektiv kann ich das Faiphone nicht mehr verwenden. Weder Internet noch Telefonieren funktionieren - für was also ein Smartphone? Nur für W-Lan?

Warst du schon in Kontakt mit dem Support? Das ganze hört sich nach einem Hardware-Fehler an, und sollte ein Garantiefall sein.

Nein. Aber das werde ich jetzt wohl tun. Danke für den Hinweis, ich würde nicht erwarten, dass so etwas ein Garantierfall sein kann. Aber vielleicht habe ich a Glück im Unglück…

1 Like

Ich hoffe es! Bitte schreib nocheinmal hier rein, wenn du Antwort hast! :blush:

So, heute kam eine Antwort (siehe unten).
Die meisten Dinge davon habe ich ja schon ausprobiert - mein Betriebssystem ist up-to-date, ebenso habe ich mehrere hard resets durchgeführt.
Die SIM-Karte? ja, das kann natürlich sein, auch wenn es mir unwahrscheinlich erscheint. Ein Jahr ist alt? Wie oft muss man denn seine SIM-Karte wechseln? Das wäre mir neu, früher hielt sowas ewig.
Ich schau mal, wie ich das testen kann, denn ich habe nunmal nur eine SIM-Karte und auch kein zweites Smartphone…

"Dear Sarah,

First of all I would like you to check if your Fairphone is up to date. You can find here how to do so: https://www.fairphone.com/tutorials-de/#/fairphone/fairphone/software-aktualisierung.

If your Fairphone is up-to-date with Kola Nut 1.8.5 we think your SIM card might be faulty. SIM cards of one year old are already considered pretty old.

If you can restart the phone and solve the issues temporarily by taking out the batteries or the SIM card, then your SIM card might be corrupted. Old SIM cards can collect corrosion rust) and/or (invisible) on the chip and can cause your phone to freeze/reboot or even so-called “ghost touches”.
Also SIM cards that have been used in other phones can get scratches on places causing the Fairphone to have bad connection with the SIM card.

We would like to ask you to try some things to deduct if the SIM card is faulty.
First restart the phone without the SIM card. If the issue doesn’t occur, please try rebooting it with a different - new - SIM card (maybe one of your friends or family) to try out in your phone.
If this resolves the issue we would recommend getting a new SIM card from your network provider.

If this doesn’t resolve the problem we recommend to perform a hard reset: How to perform a Hard Reset on my Fairphone 1

If this doesn’t help the only other solution is that we diagnose the phone and repair it.
Please let me know if the solutions didn’t work so I can provide you with repair information.

Kind regards,

Sietse

2 Likes

Geh mal zu deinem Anbieter und frag die, ob sie mal eine neue Karte für dich haben, weil die alte muckt (und nimm den schrieb von FP mit, die Menschen in $Telco-Läden sind leider manchmal schwer zu übrzeugen).

Ich halte das aber auch für Blödsinn, wenn ich das mal so sagen darf. Die Dinger sind a) passiv und b) goldbeschichtet, da kann also weder wirklich was kaputt gehen noch korrodiert da was. Und “ghost touches” haben nach meinem technischen verständnis überhaupt gar nichts mit der SIM zu tun, dass ist schlicht Unsinn. Wenn Sietse dazu irgend eine qualifizierte Quelle hat, soll sie sie linken; auch wenn sie hinter einer paywall sitzt. Da komm ich schon dran. :smile:

@Humorkritik: Sietse ist ein :mens:, kein :womens: . :wink: Check amal seine Seite :wink:

Und das mit Sim-Karten hab ich auch schon gehört. Schadet ja nicht, das auszuprobieren. @Sarah_HH hat das funktioniert?

Upsi, my bad. Aber meine Aussage steht: das ist wahrscheinlich nicht der Grund, und nicht mal eine sparsame Erklärung. Aber das Ding zu wechseln geht dennoch sicher. Die meisten Anbeiter nehmen heute Geld für’n simkartentausch, aber mit etwas gejammer und der Erläuterung von FP im Ausdruck geht das bestimmt auch so.

@Stefan @humorkritik
SIM-Karte ist bestellt…leider kostenpflichtig, weil es meinen Anbieter nicht interessiert, was der Hersteller sagt. Das ist das harte los, wenn man bei Billig-Anbietern Kunde ist :confused:
Zuvor hatte ich noch versucht, den Kontakt der SIM-Karte zu verbessern, und auch Slot 1 und 2 zu wechseln. Problem besteht weiterhin…
Allerdings habe ich festgestellt, dass es im 3G-Modus deutlich häufiger Auftritt, als wenn ich 3G ausschalte.
Ich melde mich, wenn die neue Karte getestet wurde.

3 Likes