Data Roaming when at home

Hi,
it could be you have a “Dual IMSI”, it’s something some operators use to offer roaming when traveling without having to test all operators.
I would not be surprise Virgin use this system.
Your SIM has two identifiers:

• the one of Virgin, to be used when you are in the UK
  • the one of another mobile operator, to use when you are abroad.
    Your phone should automatically switch to the local identifier when you are in the UK, but it seems its not the case, try do it manually:
    look into your “SIM menu” there should something called “roaming” and change the settings from there.
    I cannot be more precise because it depends on your operator, how they have done the menu.
1 Like

I’ve been having the same problem lately, but I am indeed in Germany very close to the French border. In the past, there was a certain part of my town that I would lose signal in. But in the past week or so, it sometimes switches me to roaming even in my house. It was never this sensitive before.

Hi everyone,
I have encountered the same problem after I returned from a trip abroad. When back in Germany, my phone showed the little R, even when at home in my network.
What helped was just to click the “Select network automatically” button under WiFi & Networks.
Now it is gone.
Cheers,
Kat

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

my Fairphone went on roaming mode today while being logged in to my home network (o2), too. I stayed abroad until two weeks ago. After that I was in Hamburg, where everything worked normal. I returned to Tübingen in southern Germany yesterday night and today discovered my phone thinking it was abroad.

I’m not so sure if o2 Germany is a MVNE Operator and I am not close to any border here.
Strange…

OK for o2 and E-Plus in Germany, this is the reason: http://www.golem.de/news/nationales-roaming-telef-nica-legt-heute-3g-netze-von-o2-und-e-plus-zusammen-1503-113256.html

O2 and E-Plus are sharing their networks in some kind of national roaming thing. I hope this doesn’t my phone will keep asking me about whether I’d like to continue every time I make a call now forewer…

1 Like

I just wrote a post on this:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015/5468?source_topic_id=5340

It is a wiki post, so you can even improve it yourself.

4 Likes

Yeesh. Well, thanks for the info!

Is there not some way to force the phone to stay on a single network? I actually do live near the French border and before this it was always the case that my phone would switch to a French network on the way to work each day (which was confirmed each time with a text from o2 explaining costs). So I’m hesitant to just ignore it and data-roam myself into a large bill.

Please try this tutorial I wrote a while back and report if it works for you:

1 Like

Nope, still experiencing the problem despite entering the 3 PLMNs for “O2 DE” listed here.

What if you delete the other PLMNs (especially the ones from French networks)?

Hmm, tapping an entry, tapping menu, and then tapping “Delete” does not actually delete it from the list. Is there some other way to do it?

Are you sure? :frowning: It works for me… Restart the phone and try again, please.

1 Like

Hello,

I have read all this and changed my settings accordingly. Yet it still does not work.
Since I do not live near the border I can ignore the roaming for calls. However, my mobile network does not work at all in the false roaming. Since I depend on my mobile network, this is really urgent.
I called O2 and they said, the fp1 nedded an update in order to make it work with their new networks?
I would be very grateful for help in this regard.

1 Like

Exactly. There is an update needed and we hope that the Fairphone team can include it in their next OS version.

I updated the post about this:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015-wiki/5468?source_topic_id=5340

Thank you Stefan. And thank you Chris of making me call o2 again after I read your email.

For the meantime, until the update, I have found a solution for me with a very helpful member of o2-support. With these, I do not have to switch on data roaming in order to have mobile internet. I had to change some settings in my APNs in order to be able to do this. I will explain this in German since as far as I know it only affects o2-Germany and also since my phone settings are German.

Einstellungen -> mehr -> Mobilfunknetze -> Zugangspunkte (APNs) -> o2-SIM auswählen -> o2 internet
in den APNs (im Folgenden nur die Dinge, die ich anpassen musste):
APN: internet
APN-Typ: default,mms,supl
MMSC: http://10.81.0.7:8002
MMS-Proxy: 82.113.100.5
Authentifizierungstyp: CHAP
Träger: keine Angabe

So funktioniert bei mir wieder das mobile Internet, I hope this helps!

1 Like

I updated the corresponding Wiki post:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/falsche-roaming-warnung-in-deutschland-seit-april-2015-wiki/5468?source_topic_id=5340

Thank you @BPlm for investigating on that! :blush:
So when you are outside of Germany, there should be the usual roaming warning, is that right?

2 Likes

Exactly, outside Germany, I should be warned of roaming.
Maybe I was too enthusiastic this morning… it does not work all the time, but it works better than without the changes to the settings.

My next guess is that if you choose o2 manually in the mobile networks, it should be fine.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve changed the setting on my phone; the Authentifizierungstyp was the only difference from what was already there. Hopefully that will mean I can leave data roaming off.

My next guess is that if you choose o2 manually in the mobile networks, it should be fine.

This hasn’t made a difference for me. It still goes into roaming somewhat randomly even when I manually choose an o2 network.

@skilpat: That’s a pity.

As to the APN settings: the guy I had on the phone was not sure, which settings the fairphone one’s were based on. He said it must be similar to Huawei?
Knowing which settings fairphone is using, maybe I would call again and find out more.
(sorry if I am not phrasing this correctly, I do not really know the meaning of this)

To me it sounds as if the guy from O2 did not know the Fairphone and thus was searching for the most similar phone, he knew the settings of (which he thought was a Huawei). There are no Fairphone specific APN settings, but I guess it depends on the Android version (?).

So for reference: The FP1 / FP1U run on Android 4.2.2, so my guess is that if you can get hold of settings for this Android version, they will most probably work on the Fairphone.